Pricing Ex Chateau Offerings

First off, I’m not a wine merchant so I have very little insight into what true cost is at a wholesale level. I can always look for comps on vivino or the big online retailers. The hardest thing for me to nail down a price on is ex chateau offerings. Sometimes there seems like a huge premium is commanded, other times it seems about flat. Is there a good way to determine market on these (assuming the offering is genuine).

I’ve been offered a sealed wooden case of 3 bottles, ex chateau, of 2005 Latour for $3500. First, is this a good deal? And second, how do you go about determining market on something like this?

Thank you everyone in advance!

1 Like

I personally would not place a large premium on an ex-Chateau offering of something like this because it is not really that old and the Bordeaux market has plenty of well-trusted supply chain alternatives for older stocks with good provenance. A quick look on Wine Searcher shows 2005 Latour Grand Vin going for around $1100 a bottle, or $3300 for your 3-pack. Therefore, I’d say you are paying a $200 premium for provenance and possibly the packaging (if that carries value to you).

In my book, it would be a fair price, not a deal. It is up to you to assess whether the small premium is worth it to you.

Cheers,
fred

1 Like

Ex chateau is an interesting term, as it also seems to apply to unsold negotiant stock. Most estates sell most of their wines early to negotiants, most of which is then sold immediately. Some though is kept and trickles out slowly. Hard to know which this is, but I understand that Latour even then was a bit of an exception (now of course it doesn’t sell en primeur). They did hold back more stock than most, and the fact that this is a three bottle case, a relatively new format, suggests it really is ex chateau.
Personally, if I am spending that kind of money, and I am planning to drink it , I would pay the premium.

2 Likes

Thanks you both. Very helpful. As Mark alluded, I’ve been told this is true ex chateau that has been held in Latour cellars and not negotiant “hold back” stock. And definitely see why a relatively new vintage (for 1st growths) would command less of a premium compared to older ex chateau offerings where provenance (and storage, to a lesser extent) may be more critical or contested. A lot of good things to think about.

It is probably market. Subscribe to Wine-Searcher Pro and look at what other merchants charge. FWIW, I would place a premium on OWC late releases, as they have been professionally stored, regardless of being at a negociant or the chateau.

1 Like

Though if it was me, I would either buy the 1996 for a bit less money, or the 2000, which is about the same money, or slightly more, but a much better wine. You can read recent tasting notes here Learn about Chateau Latour Pauillac, Complete Guide

1 Like

Thnx! I have never tried the 96 but the 2000 is incredible. Just got on wine searcher pro and it looks like the 2005 Latour is about market (not counting the box and provenance). I’ve also been offered a deal on 2018 Ch. Lafite for under $900 a bottle, which seems like a very good deal based on wine searcher. Does that seem like the better deal?

They are different styles of wine and at different maturity levels. I think 2018 is going to be a legendary Lafite, in 20-30 years. Do you want to drink now, or do you want to wait? Do you want the elegance of Lafite, or the power and regal bearing of Latour?

If you wish, you can read tasting notes for Lafite on my site as well.

1 Like

Oh would definitely be keeping the Lafite for 30 years before opening. Not looking for anything to drink now. Even the Latour I would keep for at least 10 before opening the first bottle. 2018 happens to be my wedding anniversary so this one is a long cellar play. Assuming its a good value at that price (understanding the price/value ratio is never great for first growth Boudreaux when I can buy more Dominus 2018 at a third the price). Great site BTW!

I would only buy a 15 year old wine if it had impeccable provenance. Chateau release or ex negoce.

Not that it should be part of your thought process, but the Lafite 2018 is also an anniversary wine celebrating 150 years of Rothschild ownership. Has a cool special label. And I can promise you it will be Chateau bottled, as the new releases by definition all are. champagne.gif

Finally it is a very good bottle of wine, and for me the clincher was that it was 13.3%.

Wow didn’t even notice the little balloon until you mentioned the label.