Premier Cru chargeback information (ONLY)

Called in to Starwood Amex last week regarding charges from August through November of 2014. Was told they would open a dispute and contact the merchant but could not give me provisional credit due to the transaction dates.

Received letter in mail this week from AMEX stating, for a portion of the total disputed charges, that they are investigating the matter and while the investigation is pending I am not responsible for disputed amount.

Checked my account online and the full disputed amount appears to have been provisionally credited, contradicting the letter received.

I only have a few hundred dollars at issue. I made only one call, never spoke to a supervisor. The representative I spoke to was initially reluctant to do anything because the charges dated to last year, but then agreed to open a dispute after I asked to speak to a supervisor or someone who had authority to open a dispute.

Off topic but I recently used the Starwood AMEX extended warranty protection for a tablet I bought my son that broke after the warranty expired. No problem at all. They credited the full amount quickly and didn’t even require me to send the broken tablet back. First and only time I used that card benefit.

Were the older charges from 2012 or 2013 on Visa? The only people I have seen get credit on Visa so far had multiple charges, some before the 540 days and some after.

Just FYI. I called BofA as I have only received provisional credits for 9 of my 19 disputes going back to July 2014 and I wanted to understand what was going on. The others are still in the initial phase (in a queue that no one has gotten to yet). The CSR explained that BofA seems to be “favoring” me in the dispute so she would expect to see the remaining credited provisionally as well when they are processed. I asked her when the provisional credits would become permanent - she explained that the merchant has 45 days from provisional credit posting date to dispute; if they do not then the credit becomes permanent. Wanted to share.

My purchases include 3 separate orders for 4 cases total, dating back to December 2013. Capital One’s dispute department acknowledged all of the transactions, and tells me that I will receive a claim form in 30 days. No mention of a 540 day limit during the conversation.

It took about 45 minutes on the phone, most of the time on hold.

Crossing my fingers… But thanks to all who have posted their experience and info here.

Dave

About ten days ago I contacted CitiBank(MasterCard) to dispute seven charges amounting to about $2,200. They were all recent (oldest was September 2015). The experience was quick and easy and all seven charges have been credited to my account as “CitiBank Conditional Credit for Dispute”. I trust/hope the credits will remain.

However, I now have to proceed with disputing my earlier charges with Amex (CostCo Amex Card) and am concerned about what appear to be quite varied experiences that folks have had. My charges go as far back as July 2012 and amount to a very large sum. I wonder are there any key points that I should keep in mind as i proceed here? On the Amex side, are folks discussing the disputes with the fraud department or just the regular, first line customer service reps? I believe the first-line reps can only go back a few months for any dispute openings though? Have folks had varied luck by calling back again and speaking with someone different, or can we expect our experience to be the same no matter who we engage with?

The amex fraud department is for charges that were made that you did not authorize.

I finally spoke to BoA Visa and they opened up a fraud claim for the charges just because I mentioned it could be possible fraud. I explained to this is just assumption and nothing has come to light yet. If their was a better avenue to please pursue that but it seems I got 540 days again and this is a longshot but might be the best bet of getting anything. Takes about a week they said. Once I hear back and that they aren’t giving any credit will probably respond to the letter I got about the litigation in the mail.

Matthew, with BofA I had immediate success explaining pre-arrival based on the description on the PC website (which I downloaded in a PDF) and the Chap & filing. This has gotten me the results that I was looking for to date. I did not pursue fraud as that has not been proven. Good luck.

Thanks. The problem I have is all of my charges are older than 540 days.

Just recently got my final o/s credit from chase going back to July 13, 2013. Well over 540 days, but since they are my main bank, maybe they decided to eat the cost rather than chargeback. Initially denied, then I wrote a letter with the contra Costa times article alleging fraud. The credit could be provisional, I haven’t checked my snail mail in a while (due to travel)

Barry, is that a typo, or are you just really bad at subtraction? neener

Is this thread still active? I see that virtually all the posts have been removed.

I filed disputes with Amex and so far have gotten back a canned response message that the merchant is not responding. It’s the same canned response another Amex customer who posted here got. I’ll continue to dispute them on the charges though.

VISA SUCKS

Any good advice with getting VIsa to take all charges?

I think the posts are all here. Just more posts per page now.

I sent them all the documentation and they opened the claims. Unlike others with BoA, I have not received any provisional credit. When I called to ask why, I get different answers, some saying a specific transaction has been resolved in my favor, but they don’t know why it hasn’t been posted. Maybe it’s the date of the transaction; you get provisional credit if within their standard dates. My last call yesterday, they couldn’t confirm any resolutions and said “All we can tell you is we are still working on it, we’ll let you know whenever we finish as we are required by law to send you a letter. No additional information is available”.

Good luck to all.

Sorry, 2013 was the year. Thanks for the catch.

Sorry, 2013 was the year. Thanks for the catch.

Was this conditional credit or permanent. I have Citi and Barclays with disputes open back to 2012 and 2014 respectively (both over 540 days, on MasterCard) but they have not closed out and issued permanent credit. They are waiting for response from PC bank - I think the process can go up to 45 days. Disputes have been open for 2 weeks now.

Don’t know yet, been traveling. I’m guessing conditional, will advise if I get a permanent notification.

Amex just told me that I am SOL for my charges that were made on 4/13/2012 and 12/1/2011. SAo much for being a platinum card holder since 2008!

I talked to one person and then the supervisor. They were adamant that they will not go back that far and said that they won’t dispute charges more than 60 days old. I told them, “so you are telling me that I should never buy wine futures with AMEX, as they take 2-3 years or more to receive?” She meekly responded, “I’m sorry, I guess so.”

I will be sending a letter, regardless with documentation. Oh, and I will be cancelling AMEX!