Prague, Spring 2024

In 1938, my grandfather rode his motorcycle across Czechia and apparently had an adventure that caused him and my great uncle Harry to never speak again. I visited Harry in 1994 and he swore he would never explain that experience, but he thought I should visit Prague myself to see if I understood why it so changed their relationship. It’s taken me 30 years, but here we are. I would love any any all recommendations for what we should do in Prague. Where should my wife and i stay? Where should we eat? What should we not miss? What kind of motorcycle was it? (a BMW R/32, I think).

1 Like

Fascinating. I’ve never been to Prague but will be following — and hope your trip is wonderful.

Prague Spring is fantastic if you like music and are there during the festival

Glen here are my notes literally from my iPhone. Was there few yrs back. It’s a fantastic town. Lovely people, try to learn some of the language (pleasantry’s, greetings)

1 Like

We were there almost 30 years ago. Neither of us spoke Czech, but my wife knows Russian. We were understood, but not appreciated

We were in Prague in 2013 and again in 2018. The first time, we stayed on the west side of town a bit south of there the action was (Hotel Julian), and that wasn’t the best. The room was great, but the location was sub-optimal. The second time, we stayed at the Hotel Josef, which was just up hill from Old Town. Much better location, slightly nicer room, much more expensive.

As for things to see, there’s a lot. You could spend a day wandering around Old Town (Astronomical Clock is cool) and checking out the Jewish Quarter. The Prague Castle and the surrounding museums, etc. could take up a day as well. It’s best to take the Tram up and walk down. Part of a third day could be spent learning about the 1968 revolution and checking out Wenceslas Square (you can still see the bullet marks on the buildings). There is a ton of public art around town. Some of favorites were the Memorial to the Victims of Communism, the Waldstein Gardens, and the Dancing Building. There is a large park on the west side of the river that we enjoyed walking through. There is a funicular that can take you to the top and then walk down.

We were there to drink beer. Of the bigger brands, I prefer Pilsner Urquell, though Staropramen isn’t bad either. Of the smaller breweries, the two we liked the best were U Fleku and U Tri Ruzi. If you have time, take the train to Pilsen and visit Pilsner Urquell. The best beer I’ve ever had was a pint served out of cask in their cellar.

If I think of more, I’ll post it.

1 Like

Love Prague. But… for food, Vienna is probably closest for a good meal.

4 Likes

As with all trips, start with watching Rick Steves

I love Prague bout the food sucks. Brown food in brown sauce. Light Czech food is fried cheese.

The Italian restaurant in the Four Seasons hotel is best.

1 Like

We stayed at a “hotel” called the U Raka up above the castle. It’s a 15 minute walk downhill through the castle grounds to the city center with their garden wall up against the city wall, but we loved the location. Looks like an Alpine chalet from the road. Had several rooms then. We signed up for the bridal suite (we weren’t newlyweds), which was a large, modern room with a well inside. Again, 30 years ago, so I can’t speak to its current state

1 Like

A couple more things. At least in 2018, there were a lot of Brits who flew into Prague to get drunk on the weekends. It was be annoying. Maybe things have changed with Brexit. Also, watch out for pickpockets, especially on the Tram up to the castle and around Old Town Square.

Another brewery that we liked was Vinohradsky. Sadly, it looks like they lost their downtown Tap Room during COVID though.

1 Like

It’s the “Vegas” of Europe for bachelor and bachelorette parties.

After walking the castle all day you can tell your significant other you want to see the monastery.

What? They have a brewery? OMG, what are the chances?
Babe, look at the gorgeous view overlooking Prague in the river. Let’s grab a table outside and take in the view.

3 Likes

The best food in Czechia is the chimney cake.

2 Likes

The Monastery is great. The Monastery Brewery - not so much, though I thought it was funny that they were importing a ton of American hops, while I was importing a bunch of Czech hops.

2 Likes

Yeah, you go for the view. Cold one is a bonus.

1 Like

If you’re a music fan, especially a Beatles fan, go to the Lennon wall. You’ll be walking right around it anyways.

Feel the love. Borrow or buy a pen and leave your mark. My work is the pink shaka inside the peace sign.

2 Likes

Keep 'em coming - this is all great!
For the folks saying the food is sub-par - how recently have you been there? I’m hoping that local or expat youngsters might have figured out in the last couple years that there’s a market for updating the options.

What city in Europe don’t you have to watch out for pickpockets?

Maybe six years ago.

I’ll be shocked if someone said it’s changed, Prague is the most timeless city in Europe it seemed to me.

If you like game meat, there are probably a couple of places.

You’re a little early for the best game season, which is more like October. Had some great game meals on Praha 1 (wish I could remember the name of the place). However you’ll get great wild boar and other game there.

1 Like