POVs on Mazis

And I’m not sure where Mounir Saouma sources his Mazis for Lucien LeMoine, but it is regularly a wowow impressive wine. Again, sticker shock does apply.

Thanks for the info. Let me get more precise. I’d agree about the “serious”. I’d also agree about the “new” Maume wines not being overwrought or overly extracted. These wines do not taste like the Comte Armand wines when Pascal Marchand was there (I think they were clearly over-extracted). I just think they lack character and the wines taste too similar. For me, the style is too polished. I’m not a big fan of the old Maume wines either, they were too rustic for me. But the new Maume wines (as also the other Pascal Marchand wines I have tasted so far) are too polished for me.

Yes I have read from more than one source that Bernstein and Le Moine Mazis overperform.

Yes, very different to the F.Esmonin’s style I like but also very good, powerful and needing time, and about double the price.

If not more! Frederic Esmonin was my introduction to Mazis and Griottes, and if they are not top-tier, they are very good, and relatively affordable (dare I say QPR?). I would also put Tortochot in this category, post-02, for their Mazis.

I would love to try the Harmand-Geoffroy version.

Harmand Geoffroy are old school, and need time.
Not early flatterers at all.

Very well said and totally agree. I am not his fun…too much is too much …for his style and price. [wow.gif]

I have some Potel 2001 and a few bottles of the 2005 Hospices Madeline Collignon, so I watch here for threads on the vineyard. There are precious few posts about Mazis here and the only advice I have been able to glean is that its drinking window does not open until very late so, frankly, I am afraid to open what I have for fear of being a baby killer.

Since this thread started I’ve been trying to remember any experience at all with Mazis Chambertin. And I don’t think I’ve ever tried one.

Jay, Olivier Bernstein poured a 2012 at the LaPaulee Grand Tasting. Tasty but very primary. A couple years before that, Faiveley poured his 2010. They’re typically not as pleasant young…compared to say the M-G Ruchottes, but that could well be a producer thing.

RT

I never go to the Grand Tasting, just the Verticals. If I’ve tried one anywhere it would have been there but I don’t recall.

You’re missing out Jay. Those 10 seconds of sniffing, sipping, swishing and spitting might’ve left an indelible impression. [wink.gif]

RT

Jay would never spit unless it involved Pax 1.0 . . . or Saxum . . . or Scarecrow . . . or Colgin (which I think he thought was worse than the Scarecrow) . . . or Outpost True Cab (which I think he though was the worst of all.

Jay the surprise there would be if any of those wines made it past swirl and sniff.

RT

I’d definitely be willing to both swirl and sniff a Saxum - as long as I wasn’t required to then drink it :wink:

Oh, and on topic, the '85 Leroy Mazis is the best one I have ever consumed in terms of a wine I had on multiple occasions.

One of the finest Mazis I’ve had, though hadn’t remembered…is one owned by the Hospice de Beaune, Cuvee Madeleine Collignon http://www.hospices-de-beaune.com/index.php/hospicesdebeaune/Le-Domaine-viticole/Vente-aux-encheres/Les-cuvees/Mazis-Chambertin-Grand-Cru-Cuvee-Madeleine-Collignon

Vines planted in 1947; a large parcel near Clos de Beze. (I had the 2000 this summer made by Henri Boillot and it was superb.)

I’m not sure that this was the only one Maison Leroy bought in 1985, but it did buy this parcel’s wine that year and sold it…1985 Hospices de Beaune (Leroy) Mazis-Chambertin Grand Cru "Cuvée Madeleine Collignon" - SKU 1199939 (parker’s first 100 point Burgundy)

One of my biggest wine mistakes was serving the 1985 Maume version (2 bottles of it) at a small dinner at Le Bec Fin in 1995, where I was allowed by Greg Moore, then its sommelier, to bring my own wines…He laughed when he tasted it…and said “come back in 20 years”. I still have one bottle though I guess I missed that target in 2015. (We did have the the '85 Maume Lauvaux St. Jacques this past November and were really charmed (though a 1983 Truchot blew it away).

I have a couple of bottles whose rules of engagement are new to me – 2014 Maume Marchand Tawse Mazis. I know that in 2034 (if there is a 2034 ahead), these will be as great as they can be. But what happens if I open one soonish? I’m just tipping a toe into Burgundy, but have experience with young Bordeaux, Chateauneufs, Cornas and Tempiers – and all of those have different expectations if you drink them too young. Quite a few St Emilions are charming with just a couple years of bottle age, even if they clearly will develop over time. But, say, a 2014 Leoville Barton was like sewing the insides of my cheeks together while my ears filled with bagpipe music. A young Cornas might result in “damn, should have waited, but great potential – still, glad I checked in” or one of those more intellectual "is this even wine yet?’ experiences where my friends think I’m insane for suggesting a glass.
So – any advice about the wine in question? I’m open to “this is great but way too young” but not so excited about “this is like stuffing my mouth with cherry stems and chewing on a slide whistle.” Should I leave it alone?

Talk about random…just stumbled upon this thread, and can say that I had never had a Mazis (let alone a 2014, per the OP), until literally 30 minutes ago.

I’m in London and popped into Hedonism. Talk about a jaw dropping shop (wall of chateau d’yquem, tons of DRC, screagle, etc etc). Anyways on a whim I picked up a half bottle of 2014 Faiveley Mazis. And I opened it 30 minutes ago. It would probably be better in 2024 and better yet in 2034, but in February 2019 it’s a really nice half bottle of wine. Nose jumps right out of the glass, very floral but also smoky. Delicate. Red fruit. Nice length. Could be more concentrated for my palate but it’s quite good in my book.

Faiveley Mazis is really good nowadays (thicker and more brooding than the latricières, the 2017 is was really nice about a month ago from barrel too!) but I would also add Harmand Geoffroy (which I only tasted in recent years) and Guillon (more modern) as great winemakers in Mazis. Rousseau makes a more refined example. Some 10 years ago we had a 1998 Mazis horizontal and Naddef came out together with Rousseau as winners. However I never had another of Naddef’s version after that.