Pound eviscerated: buying opportunity in the UK

BBR accepts amex. I believe they convert at the spot rate. Also, their website is very easy to use and pay. Wiring is such a hassle.

That appears to be interchange that they’re charging back at you. With all credit card transactions, merchants have to pay interchange to the issuing bank equivalent to (up to) 5% of the transactions amount.

It appears that they’re tacking it on to the exchange rate.

Btw, whatever it is that your merchant is doing, I’d question it with the issuing bank.

It is legal in the UK, but if you end up in long tern relationships, that becomes negotiable. Can’t say I have ever paid a fee, but I certainly have in the US.

You can initiate a better value wire transaction via transferwise, although of course you lose the benefits of credit card protections.

Revolut…

Any ideas on a good way to get UK wine to the US with reasonable shipping if not buying in bulk?

I do not know but as for myself I purchase wines outside of the States and bring them over here in my luggage during my travels.

ICAP Technical Analysis article predicted a pound of 1.14 if we see a No Deal Brexit. (And 1.0526-1.02 GBP/EUR. Reverse parity.)

Will BoJo be the last PM of the ‘United Kingdom?’

Northern Ireland melding into Ireland and an independent Wales and Scotland would be fun (as in interesting) to see. (I know the economics don’t favor them, but just fun to ponder.)

Wales won’t split from England. Scotland is another story.

For those of you asking about shipping wines from
the UK, I have dealt with three shippers.

The best by far is Connoisseur International. Good rates, good follow up and if there is a problem, they have dealt with it quickly and hassle free. My contact is Nick Terry, a very nice guy, if you discount his unwavering support for Millwall, the hooligans of English football.
His contact is nickterry at cid dot uk dot com.

Seabrookes does most of the commercial shipments. More expensive and they are not as responsive to private customers.

Davis Turner. Avoid based on two horrible experiences.

I have never brought wine from the UK. How expensive is it to ship to the US?

Around $160 a case to NY. Not sure about elsewhere.

Just got an e mail from a London merchant Fine and Rare, basically echoing my first post. Interesting

Using Mark’s dealer - and thanks again Mark - UK to Florida with insurance was 220 pounds or about $265 USD.

Incidentally, just got a very reasonable quote from William Gladstone, Hawaii to FL on 2-day delivery for $78. That is great. I’m paying that for a case from Cali.

We did that with a pound/dollar straddle when the Brexit vote first occurred. We bought all the Wendouree in GB the week of the vote (29 bottles, IIRC) and I had to pay in pounds by Friday. The vote was Thursday. I decided that the market had factored in a NO vote so that would not cause the exchange rate to change, but if YES won, the pound would get murdered. I waited until Friday and save a few hundred dollars, paying the same price in GBPs.

Ordered from William as well and shipping cost was nice. I might be ordering more from him in the future.

I was happy with 2 bottles of Lagavulin at 48 GBP each, now I’m disappointed. That’s what get for not obsessively reading the Board on vacation.

someone needs to start a new thread of Pound eviscerated: what did you buy?

Bought some Cristal, old Magdelaine and Figeac

Champagne is much cheaper, you lose at least one tier of the three tier distribution system, and the markup at most merchants is half of what the retailer demands. And of course there is that eviscerated pound.

Bought some n Rhone. Wouldn’t have even bothered to look if not for this thread. Thanks mark!