Pound eviscerated: buying opportunity in the UK

I have been waiting to PSA the GBP! I picked up a couple 2016s couldn’t find at reasonable prices in US. Didn’t buy the Mouton!

Really. What is wrong with you. This is a WINE board. Mark points out a way to get wine a good prices, which people here do all the time. Instead of thanking him, you seem to want to trash him.

Some producers, especially from Burgundy, were distinctly cheaper in the UK to begin with, and now are looking even better. The other plus to buying in Britain is that you can buy in bond which means (i) you can defer paying VAT (and never pay it, if you get it shipped outside the EU … not sure what will happen post-Brexit); (ii) storage costs tend to be quite reasonable (in the range of a pound per bottle per year; (iii) if you needed to sell the wine, selling wine that has never left bond is the next best thing provenance-wise to ex-chateau. (I don’t sell my wine or buy with the intention to sell; but you never know.) Also, delivery costs in London/the UK tend to be pretty reasonable, so if you don’t mind paying VAT you can take delivery of a case or two on your next London holiday/business trip, and fly it home in a styro shipper. Unless it’s super-high-end stuff with a very high value, US customs typically will waive you through since the customs duties on wine by volume are pretty cheap.

Dom 2008.

This was bizarre, uncalled for, and out of place. That’s just the start.

To collect VAT, you must transport the product outside the country (or EU if an EU country). Cannot drink it there. You also need the prerequisite paperwork filled out by the merchant.

I get to play this game in real-time since my salary is pegged to USD but paid in GBP. The opportunities are getting better and better. Of course, if the economy doesn’t strengthen soon (and why would it?) I won’t have a job. But it will give me more time to enjoy all the wine I’m procuring, so there’s that.

It was also somewhat predictable.

On the flip side, due to this change and future uncertainty, our UK importer canceled their entire order this week. :frowning:

I am sure this is effecting other US wineries, too.

Anyone itching for 2 pallets of Familiar Mourvèdre & Familiar Blanc? champagne.gif

Damn. Sorry to hear that Hardy.

This thread is absolutely hilarious.

Like a “Ukrainian” bot farm talking to itself.

Actually just had a layover at LHR and picked up a btl at duty free. It was 114GBP…

Exactly. Same a few weeks ago.

Not surprising. It is not the actual cost that has changed, but the amount when translated into dollars.
The cost in dollars in March would have been $154 is now $138.

And duty free is almost never a deal, at least for wine. Case in point, 2008 Dom was 150 EUR at the Munich airport today. A laughable price for what is supposed to be “duty free”

Heathrow’s Duty Free vendor Dufry also offers another 5% off if you have their app.

I am not sure Markus meant anything political…I think it’s a reference to when Soros shorted the Pound back in the early 80’s and made around $1B.

Thing is, how many people have the resources to be buying in Britain? I’m all for good wine prices, but I don’t purchase in pallet quantities that Mark has said he does on occasion, and I don’t think most of us here could do either.