Potential Wineries to Visit in Napa

+1 on Tanner!!!

1 Like

I canā€™t recommend Theorem enough. One of the star visits of my last few trips out to Napa. TRB wines on Diamond Mtn. Absolutely beautiful wines and property. Make sure you get Isaac as your host!

Go to Mending Wall! Iā€™ve been working remotely this year in sonoma, paso, and bay area and have done a lot of tastings. Mending wall was the bestā€”such a great place to visit, and very covid friendly. They only seat one party at a time.

1 Like

Good call on Seavey. Wonderful people, excellent wines, and a beautiful property that doesnā€™t feel the least bit touristy.

1 Like

Definitely go to continuum. Went there last week. Was absolutely fantastic. If u can get into promontory. Thatā€™s one of the best wineries Iā€™ve ever been to.

The winemaker, Steve, at Continuum is one of the best people in the industry, IMHO.
I havenā€™t been to Promontory yet- but I was there when it was Diamond Oaks and it has an amazing view. Promontory was billed as a less exclusive Harlan/Bond, but they still wax poetic about practicing the techniques of Masanobu Fukuoka, which seems utterly absurd applied to such a labor-intensive crop!

He sure is.

2 Likes

Palmaz is a place I recommend to all my friends with engineering degreesā€¦and those who like tech. I love the place. They make some pretty tasty wine too!

To the original questionā€¦
David Arthur cabs are a favorite of mine. I used to get a couple 1147ā€™s each year before their price points went north of $200.

Very much agree with the Chappellet recommendation out Pritchard Hill way.
I like to mix in wineries that in addition to great wine have great views and are open to allowing a group to eat lunch on their property. One hill over from Pritchard Hill, further up Sage Canyon road is Kuleto. We had a fabulous private tasting outside with some of the most expansive and beautiful views in Napa, it was stunning. I set the lunch up in advance when I booked our tasting. Our group got a couple tables in a secluded spot on their patio and spent a relaxing hour after the tasting, munching on the Dean & DeLuca sandwiches, etc we brought and washing it down with a Kuleto Rose and Zin.
Really a memorable stop for our group.

1 Like

Is Kuleto even there anymore after the fires? Dean and Deluca is long gone

Jeez!! I didnā€™t know. Kuleto is definitely not open for tours. Sad. Our last trip was the 2018 harvest.
I didnā€™t know about DeLuca either. Just donā€™t tell me something happened to the Oakville Grocery or Gotts!

Oakville Grocery is still around- I was there 10 days agoā€¦

1 Like

Oakville Grocery was bought by Jean Charles Boisset a couple years agoā€¦ should be in good shape for some time.

Favorites when I was there were in 2018:
Continuum
Ovid
Chappellet
Realm
Rochioli
Dumol
Carlisle
Shafer
Kosta Browne, although that one has obviously changed a lot

The only one I attended that I wish I hadnā€™t: HALL. Our tour guy was some grouchy old ex military guy. Yelled at my wife and I for talking when we werenā€™t even aware he was our tour guide or the tour had started yet. The tour itself was okay, kind of forgettable. The wines are obviously solid, if not overpriced. And the tour concludes with a ruse to clearly drink some wine, leave your credit card here, and GTFO. Most wineries do it to some degree, but your could feel the heavy hand of marketing and Texas billionaires. I shit you not, you exit through the gift shop. I was surprised I didnā€™t have to try and find my car in the Mickey Red or Goofy Green parking lot once I got off the monorail. Pass. I guess after getting drunk with Gary Pisoni and laughing when my mom fell down the stairs on top of himā€¦most other tours are going to pale in comparison :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s too bad about your Hall visitā€¦ but understandable. We stopped by there in 2018 as well, just did a tasting session at the bar. In general I find an odd correlation at wineries between size/wealth and art, and Hall exhibits both in volume. The wines themselves are actually quite good, some that are definitely way up there in price and others that are actually reasonable vs the Napa norm. But your experience will definitely depend on the employee assigned to interact with you, and with larger operations thereā€™s definitely a sense that some do it for the paycheck while others have a genuine interest and passion.

+1 on the Hall horse**it. Will never go back.

Promotory
Vine Hill Ranch (VHR)
Dana Estates
Franzia
Vice Versa

Absolutely +1 on both Theorem and Dakota Shy, both are amazing!!
The Dakota Shy Oakville Ranch Cab Franc is unbelievably tasty!!

Had an amazing birthday last year spent at these 3 wineries all within a mile or two of one another:

The Vineyard House
Futo
Promontory

The Vineyard House has some really solid QPR wines - Not cheap, but really solid for where they are located.

how long has melka/maayan been making wine for VH? have you had their wines before and after them taking over?

from my time living in napa i always found JN to to be a little odd, maybe interesting is a better word.