Posting A Negative Note on a Board Favorite

If it was your first time with that wine, I would say to post the note as a question.

State your experience and see if other people noted the same characteristics or if the experience was not in line with others have noticed.

It would help frame the experience and perhaps lead you to giving the wine another try.

As to the Caymus, it’s just bad.

+1

What some people see as the inevitable apologists are often just people familiar with the wine. ie. “Yes it’s undrinkably oaky. It’s also five years before the drinking window, according to the critic whose score you relied on to make the purchase.” -or- “It’s probably in a dumb phase, which is typical for that wine at this age.” -or- “Wow. I’ve never experienced that from her wines. I don’t doubt what you perceived, but perhaps it’s <cooked/corked/etc.> Maybe send her an email describing what you got and see what she says and let us know the answer.”

Tighty whiteys, eh? I’m sure everyone awaits that image. [pwn.gif] [shock.gif] [popcorn.gif]

Would you prefer a picture of my golden nuts?
image.jpeg

I believe the true benefit of this board is to read/post honest reviews…good or bad. I do agree they should be without vitriol. That being said, if someone were to post a negative review of a true board favorite they would be skewered as someone without a refined taste just like the person who posts a positive review on a hated wine (Caymus 40) is seen as a cretin with no taste. We have seen it before more than once.

If Mike Pobega says it, it has to be true!

I know I’d want to hear if somebody didn’t like my work (my Christmas card list is getting too long anyway). But seriously, there is nothing worse than having smoke blown up your ass all day by everyone because their afraid to upset you. Sometimes a dose of honesty is refreshing and often informative.

Truth if said out loud can often be negative.

“You’re fat and unattractive” said to a friend’s wife, let’s say, or even to a perfect stranger. I’d call that negative, true or not.

Yeah but Frank, if he said “you’re athletic, slim, and altogether thrilling”, that could be untrue and even more negative. So in that case, any comment at all is negative.

But we’re talking about wine. Wine doesn’t have feelings. The wine maker might, but the wine maker himself or herself isn’t being disparaged, the product is.

She’s not fat and unattractive, she has a weight disorder with an appearance deficit.

I’m not so sure about this. I am sure the wines being pelted by hailstones this year in France don’t feel very well. [highfive.gif]

Agree with most others here. It’s hard to take someone’s evaluations seriously if their only feedback is fawning praise.

As part of a community, it’s important to post honest impressions, but I also believe that that can and should be done with tact. There is no need to personally insult anyone, and I think that the negative reactions here to some harsh criticism of “board favorites” in other threads has been due to the nasty tone and suspected agenda of the posters.

Kinda racist to me that you post your nuts in Spanish, knowing that I cannot read it.

I wonder if you pairing your Pinot with nuts killed the sensation.

Note that I didnt mention the winemaker.

Your discretion is legendary throughout the kingdoms, m’Lord.

I just woke up, celebrated being conscious so early in the day, and then I read this . :astonished:

tumblr_lnvcupZs0n1qea6rto1_1280.jpg

Adrian is asleep at the switch.

Post it with a trigger warning.

Mea culpa.

Younger me - let it fly … unvarnished truth couched in language to reflect JUST how much I didn’t like it.

Older me - ITB , more nuanced …just as Ian so deftly described. Honest , but careful of the language you use.

I don’t know how it tastes the first time, but it’s pretty gross when it’s thrown up all over you (high school party-girl)

Did you taste it the second time?