PORK St. Louis Cut „Char Siu-style“

Char Siu is a Cantonese style of BBQ. Traditionally made with pork neck. I thought could be also nice with Pork St. Louis Cut. In Germany a lot of new cuts arrived regarding beef and pork in the last 2-3-4 years, unknown 10-20 years ago in Berlin. For example Tri Tip, Onglet, Petit Tender, Skirt Steak, Bavette etc and St. Louis Cut for pork.

So, I made it for the first time and liked it a lot, especially the fat on top whcih gives flavors. For me more tasty than pork neck. Fair to say I bought only a little piece (1.1 kg) from the Duroc pork for the first try.

Ingredients

1,1 kg Pork St. Louis cut

marinade:
1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp Chinese-5-spice powder
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp Hoisin sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp water
salt
fresh ginger (optional)

Braising:
Shaoxing rice wine
water
1 red Thai chilli, chopped
marinade

Preparation

1. First make the marinade and add to the pork. Let it rest for hours or better overnight in the fridge. Try to have 1-2 tbsp marinade left for later. BTW, in bigger cuts you have to remove a little skin from the St. Louis cut before marinade with a teaspoon.

1. Pre-heat the oven to 160 C/320 F. Put the meat in a form and add a bit Shaoxing wine, water, Thai chilli and marinade, so that the meat is almost half in liquid. Add a lid. Put in the oven for 2h or 3h for bigger pieces.

1. After 2 or 3h add rest of the marinade or make a little new one, around 2-3tbsp. Brush the meat with it. I recommend to add more heat, around 200 C /400F. Put the meat back in the oven without lid for around 30min

2. Serve with lemongrass-rice and green vegetables of your choice. I add peas, but pak choi would be also great. BTW, the bones should easily to be removed.

Martin,

This looks very nice. It’s a bit hard to tell but this appears to be a center loin cut? It seems here in the US char siu is usually made from shoulder, sometimes from a neck cut, but I have also seen loin cuts used.

I find it interesting though, being I am from and live in St. Louis, that they would describe this piece of meat as “St. Louis cut.” In the US the term St. Louis cut refers to a rack of pork ribs taken from the lower ribs, near the belly, and trimmed into a rectangular cut without tips, making for compact and meaty ribs. Of course, the way cuts of meat get named and how those names change from place-to-place can be very strange.

Like you said, St. Louis Cut is near the belly. My version is quite small and perfect for 2 people. It was a test.

I like these new cuts in Germany, as they have more flavor and are cheaper.

Ah, now I see. I couldn’t tell from the other pictures, as it was smaller and looked rounder in the images, making me think loin. Thanks Martin!

Does anyone know what t hat cut is known as in the US? The only reference to St Louis that I know if is St. Louis cut ribs. It looks like pork belly to me.

1 Like

Jay,

it looks like porkbelly, but it isn’t It is indeed St. Louis Cut ribs.

My version is little that’s the reason why it looks like pork belly. Next time I will buy a 2kg or more version, like in the photo.

Looks good. Char Shui ribs sound great. They often have St. Louis ribs on sale here because they are not that popular. Next time I see them I will try this.

Doń´t forget that this cut need time in the oven or grill. 3h low heat and around 30min high heat for 2kg.

As I understand it (and could be wrong), whether they’re called St. Louis style or not, that cut is what you will generally see in competition or at most barbecue places. It’s really just a trimmed down sparerib. Out of curiosity, what other cuts do you see that are more popular? Whole racks of spareribs? If offered for the same price I’d always take the St. Louis style over the entire rack so that I don’t have to trim it. Obviously, baby backs are an entirely different thing.

Of course whole rack of spareribs, but this is really not something new in Germany. But very popular right now is „Spider Steak“.

I am also a big fan of „Onglet“ which has a quite strong flavour. For the first time I will make „Tri Tip“ this week-end from Nebraska/Greater Omaha. Tri Tip and Onglet is relatively new in Germany since around 3-4 years or maybe 5 years.

Fair to say you have to order these cuts from special online meat shops in Germany. You woń´t find them in regular grocery, department store, butcher or what we call Metzgerei in german language.