Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

My understanding is that the poll is consistent with current VDP Mosel designation, so at least some officials think this system makes sense.

The poll technically does make sense. It just oversimplifies things.

Of course German wine has been accused of being too complicated, so…

No, “trocken” is no WINE, it´s a designation for low residual sugar!

The problem is: there seems to be a general misunderstanding about some German terms and designations (even among Germans)!

“trocken” means DRY - nothing else … a wine with low residual sugar below a certain limit (max. 9 gr. with apropriate acidity) …
a Kabinett can be dry, a Spätlese or an Auslese, all can be dry … so these are no contrasts to chose from …

“I prefer a trocken to a Spätlese” is nonsense …

Would anybody say: “I prefer a Bordeaux to a Pauillac” ? [scratch.gif]

^I don’t agree with your analogy.

Gerhard, I think you are taking this poll way too seriously. It’s meant to be simplest form possible. Just to get an idea what people like.
I’m afraid to even start a poll about favorite colors. [dance-clap.gif]

Blue! No yellow! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

As long as Dukies are banned from buying Riesling, life is good.

[stirthepothal.gif]

White belt.

I consume more trocken (including GGs) German Riesling than other types. Mostly because I find those drier flavor profiles tend to match the kinds of food I want to match with white wine. But I really like the kabinett, spatlese, and ausleses as well.

As I’ve been digging into these wines more deeply and trying more of them, I’m finding the kab/spat level wines going nicely with more food. Or more simply, I’m learning to love them all! The very sweet ones also get in the mix nicely, but I have fewer occasions for them.

Now we are onto something important!!!

As long as Dukies are banned, from Riesling or anything else.

I like this poll. It is simple. Wine is complicated, so any poll is bound to be incomplete.

My favorite Riesling is Mosel Kabinett, but I rarely drink it any more. This is because the kind of Mosel Riesling Kabinett I used to love doesn’t seem to exist any more. If I am wrong about this, I ask those with knowledge to steer me towards producers, sites and vintages where it is still made:

I like Mosel Riesling Kabinett with
7% alcohol
1% (10 grams) residual sugar
.9% titratable acidity
pH <3.15

Every summer I would drink pallets of the stuff from producers like Winzerverein Ayl. Who is making it today? I’m afraid I know the answer but will hope I’m wrong.

Dan Kravitz

I like this poll. It is simple. Wine is complicated, so any poll is bound to be incomplete.

My favorite Riesling is Mosel Kabinett, but I rarely drink it any more. This is because the kind of Mosel Riesling Kabinett I used to love doesn’t seem to exist any more. If I am wrong about this, I ask those with knowledge to steer me towards producers, sites and vintages where it is still made:

I like Mosel Riesling Kabinett with
7% alcohol
1% (10 grams) residual sugar
.9% titratable acidity
pH <3.15

Every summer I would drink pallets of the stuff from producers like Winzerverein Ayl. Who is making it today? I’m afraid I know the answer but will hope I’m wrong.

Dan Kravitz

And one more.

Plaid

Blue and Yellow?? No!!! That’s green!!!

How do you know so much about Riesling?

You have to know these things when you’re a King, you know.

Yong,
“simple” should not include “wrong” … at least imho …

but nevertheless I´m giving up … let the misunderstandings continue …
[shrug.gif]

So a quick look back and 24 of the last 30 Rieslings that I’ve had were trocken of those 24, 21 were GG. It’s really become the wine of choice in our house. It goes great with just about everything; I’m also with Dan, I’d drink a lot more Kabinett if it was in the realm of 7% vs. 9%. As it is, I have repeatedly said I need to be buying more Kabinett & Spatlese.

Dont get me wrong. I appreciate your input.
If you dont mind I would like to PM you to get more info on this subject.

What are you interested in finding out? No doubt others will be interested as well. Gerhard is a great source of wine information, but he’s not the only one.