Poll: Which type of German rieslings do you usually prefer?

I wanted to make this a simple poll without getting too detailed just to see what people usually go for.

If I listed every single type out everyone will say “depends”.

Seconded. I just looked at the options and thought that this makes no sense.

Not to mention that one can pick only one option! [cheers.gif]

I know food and wine pairing is BS talk for idiots, but it depends on what i’m eating. No food and I would reach for trocken every time.

none

My favorite Riesling is the bottle that somebody else brings to dinner, i.e. a free one.

A related question: what Pradikatt is Kung Fu Girl?

Yes, and you can have all above also

• halbtrocken
  • feinherb
  • lieblich

Generally there are two (almost) independent questions:

Riesling taste (connected with RSugar)
a) dry
b) off-dry (from slightly to very sweet)

Riesling Prädikat (connected with Alc.)

1. QbA
  2. Kabinett
  3. Spätlese
  4. Auslese

… AND there are also Austrian and Alsacian Rieslings [cheers.gif]

None, as it is not German.

(And not all that good either…)

although the expert posters are right and the poll has some flaws - i kinda like it.

my interpretation would be that “trocken” covers any of the above prädikats (or without, as common nowadays) and hence the prädikats are the sweet versions.

i prefer the trockens, although i bought a helluvalot kabinett and spats from 2017 - my guess (hope?) is that they some day take the place of the 2001 as concentrated, aromatically rich, pure and elegant sweet rieslings. they are so tasty today…

m.

If I had a nice collection of well-aged spatlese and also found it reasonably at restaurants, that would be my choice. But Kabinett is much more available at its appropriate younger age so that’s my vote.

I am really impressed by you guys. I am sure you guys could come up with 100 different categories if you really try. How about Spatlese Trocken from Rieslaner from the Pfalz? Keep working.

Really, the poll is pretty well designed to get to its purpose. Do you favor trocken wines, more traditionally made table wines (I actually would have combined Kabinett and Spatlese into one category) or sweeter German wines. The type of poll so many of you seem to favor would be so disaggregated that nobody would get anything useful from the results. Right now it is clear that about 67% of the people who responded like more traditionally made German table wines, 7% of the responders like sweeter wines the best and the rest like trocken. Pretty interesting and clear results.

Congratulations on showing off. I do highly encourage you guys to come up with a separate poll with all your many different categories (and please include Rieslings from Australia and Washington State, for example) and then after a couple of days summarize the meaningful results from the poll in one or two easy to understand sentences like I did above.

Ian, only German wines use that system. You could be asking where they would fall in that system, but it doesn’t really work that way, since the German system has origin requirements (and obviously a US wine wouldn’t meet that). If you had technical details about the wine you could determine the relative sweetness (e.g. - comparable to a Spatlese), but that’s about it.

[scratch.gif]

Nobody are showing off. Relax
Trocken is also traditional

You really are having a hard time seeing the forest for the trees, aren’t you? THIS IS A POLL. The purpose of a poll is to provide information to the pollster, not to show how much he knows about the subject. What information are you trying to get at that is not in the poll as it currently exists?

Rarely have seen less clear results … but that needs a deeper understanding of German Prädikat system …

(not all trocken is traditional, not all Spätlese are sweet or even off-dry etc.) [oops.gif]

You really are having a hard time seeing the forest for the trees, aren’t you? THIS IS A POLL. The purpose of a poll is to provide information to the pollster, not to show how much he knows about the subject. What information are you trying to get at that is not in the poll as it currently exists?

[scratch.gif]

I do not disagree. THIS IS A POLL
And I am happy that I can learn something about German Riesling in this poll.
I hope that Gerhard and Otto keep posting valuable info
Again: nobody are showing off

So, do your own poll!!! Let us see your genius.

All true. I still prefer older Spatlesen

Relax Howard. North Carolina won their game yesterday. :wink:

to elaborate a liitle more on the topic (and I am german), the poll pretty much reflects my buying and drinking habits:

I LOVE the sweet ones (kab, spat, ausl) but I DRINK the trockens…

I actually think, that the sweet riesling kabinetts (esp. from mosel, saar, ruwer), and a little less so the spats, have the worlds best QPR (at least here in germany) when flavour, lightness, elegance, “tastyness” is considered.

m.

Generally I like trocken younger and Auslese and BA older. But I’m an equal opportunity tippler and buy across the pradikats.