[POLL] What device do CellarTracker users use when adding value to the database?

This alone is the reason to prioritize mobile development - it has further to go and more room to improve.

(Just joined beta . . .)

Itā€™d be valuable to ask how people want to contribute, rather than how they are contributing today. If Iā€™m adding a couple of wines I bought in a shop, I do it via mobile. If Iā€™m adding several wines I bought online, Iā€™m usually doing it via the website.

My mental model is if Iā€™m doing something in the moment, or it involves less than a dozen bottles, Iā€™m using my phone which I always have on me. If Iā€™m doing bulk adds/removes/changes, Iā€™m going through the website on a laptop or PC. Photos will always be through mobile as itā€™s just easier since Iā€™m using my phone to take pictures anyway.

1 Like

Given that until Ericā€™s post above today the only Beta generally available was for the 20% of the worldā€™s population who drink the Apple Koolaid this wouldnā€™t be altogether surprising.

Appleā€™s market share is above 60% in the US, which is where the majority of people on this message board are from. For the remaining minority who have the misfortune of using Android devices, Iā€™m sure there will be a beta version for thatā€¦ eventually. As Iā€™m sure you are used to by now, it tends to be a lower priority.

Oh wow thatā€™s almost 100% amiright?

Closer to that than 0%, sure.

BTW, for the last DECADE our device usage has been 90% iOS and 10% Android. We actually have had the Android beta out for several weeks. I just happened to mention it here today.

4 Likes

and 90% of that is just AH hitting refresh.

1 Like

Which to me seems to indicate a marketing failure to address 80% of the world market, but maybe itā€™s a strategy.

iPhone users on average tend to be more affluent. People who collect wine tend to be more affluent. Sounds actually like the target audience is correct.

1 Like

Not at all. I know plenty of people (including my wife) who pay huge premiums for the Apple brand (Hong Kong is the other market in the world where Apple has a large share) and only one of them (who works in graphic design / marketing) has ever been able to show me anything they do with their device which isnā€™t equally easy/effective on an Android at a fraction of the cost.

Sure, thereā€™s a segment of the market for CT which is ā€œtrophy wine collectorsā€ which matches the Apple profile quite well. But I would argue that there is probably a bigger potential market (by volume if not by spend) of people who enjoying drinking (which is a bit different from tasting/spitting or collecting) wine and eagerly use tools like CT to seek out good value wines to try; that segment probably maps better onto Android users.

CT has both an iPhone app and an android app. Despite this, 90% of usage comes from the iPhone app. Seems like the hypothesis that android support will greatly increase the userbase of CT is not supported by the evidence.

They probably all use Vivino.

Well Vivino is orders of magnitude more successful (if success is measured by users or business revenue) than CT. So I guess the fundamental question is whether CT aims to appeal to the ā€œmass marketā€ of wine drinkers or whether it wishes to remain a niche product for people who think Vivino (and Android) is beneath them.

Nothing wrong with building a niche product that users love and are happy to pay for. I sincerely doubt that the hoi polloi who use vivino would ever say they love it.

Of course not - Iā€™m very happy to buy Apple shares even though I wouldnā€™t buy their products.

Iā€™m just curious, as Iā€™m sure we all are, as to where Eric is taking CT and what that means for pricing and for usability for different segements of the potential market.

I donā€™t know what conversation youā€™re hoping to engage in with comments like this or if youā€™re just complaining because the focus isnā€™t where you want it to be and they will start charging for premium features instead of allowing it to be donation based. Alsoā€¦

If I remember correctly Cellartracker is more or less bootstrapped while Vivino finished a series D a couple of years ago. Different business models and Iā€™m assuming very different plans for successā€¦

Interesting in the sense that Android has about 70% market share.

1 Like

I can show you how to reduce or avoid incessant tracking on my iPhone!

Berserkers: Eric/CT really need to improve the mobile app because thatā€™s 80-90% of the usage.

Also Berserkers: I canā€™t believe Eric/CT arenā€™t focused on developing an Android app for the 10% of users who donā€™t use iPhones.

2 Likes