[POLL] What device do CellarTracker users use when adding value to the database?

OK, fair enough. Apologies for mislabeling you. I guess I should have added a question about whether people pay or not to the poll.

My parents have told me I was an old guy from the birth.

Now I know what that means.

Best regards,

Old Guy no. 4

2 Likes

Old guy no. 5

1 Like

Hi Eric,

CT is the App and web tool I visit more than any other, every day - super useful. I am happy to be a paying member. When I have sent in a question, I have always gotten a prompt reply, usually from you, which is impressive.

Here is one frequent user’s behavior/experience fwiw:

I often start my day with coffee and news/Wine Berserkers and CT on my iPad. Just browsing for entertainment.

But if I need do entry of more than a couple wines or notes on CT or any inventory work, I go to my desktop. I find the organization/sorting tools to be more useful/faster/intuitive.

One particular thing I like a LOT on desktop is how when I am looking at a single year and wine, I can use the breadcrumb links at the TOP of the page to display all vintages and scores for a particular wine by that producer or all their wines and vintages on one page
Ie: Joseph Drouhin > Griottes-Chambertin

On an iPad/iPhone due to space limitations I am sure, thats not how it works.
Instead there is a link far down at the very BOTTOM of the page for “Other wines by this producer” and a pick-one-vintage drop down for other single vintages, but these are waaaay down there.
If you choose “other wines” you see a miles-long list column of every vintage, every wine they make in alphabetical order. Its not a useful sorting tool in that format.

What I hope for would be display options at the TOP of the App page that mimic the functionality of desktop.

Not complaining at all- just sharing one person’s behavior IRL. I run a small web-based business and can appreciate the challenges and trade offs needed to develop robust virtual tools that work on multiple devices, browsers, operating systems and user behaviors. It never ends.

Thanks, Steve

1 Like

Have you tried using the beta CT app? It has the functionality you are describing.

I imagine half the people in this thread griping about deprioritizing desktop development have never used the beta app.

1 Like

I just don’t like doing stuff on my phone. It’s too small.

5 Likes

+1 this and i’m on my desktop for work many hours a day… i can open a tab on my browser with great CT functionality, AND can multi-task with other errands, actual day job, etc etc… . or i’d have to pick up my phone, open an app, etc… as great as mobile is these days, my day job isn’t quite all mobile yet :smiley:

That said, i’m sure they have all the backend data and i’m also fairly sure they won’t forget about the web version.

3 Likes

Unless it somehow makes my 5" screen 4 times bigger and attaches a keyboard then it doesn’t address the fundmental problem of mobile phones - they’re just too small for anything non-trivial.

But also, I wasn’t even aware that a Beta app existed (how would I know), and I can’t immediately find it on the Google Play store.

1 Like

Nice, I’ll check it out!

Now about that “Make me a soy milk latte’ with sprinkles” feature. If the App doesn’t do that, what good is it anyway?

I kid :wow:

Great news then! The desktop UI isn’t going away anytime soon.

And where would one find this app? Pretty sure it was a closed beta.

I’m likely the oldest person commenting on this thread. It wasn’t hard to find and enroll in CT Beta, which I did an hour ago after reading Chris’ post above. As is often the case, Google is our friend…

3 Likes

Another old guy here. Use the New Cellar Tracker on my desktop nearly 100% of the time. Only use mobile when visiting wineries. Signed up in 2009 (#71971). Have been paying various yearly amounts since day one. I mainly use CT for keeping a somewhat accurate inventory of my wines, along with writing reviews.

The desktop web interface is definitely not going away.

1 Like

Just downloading Test Flight and the CT beta app doesn’t get you in. CT has to send you a code to access the beta app.

They did a call for beta testers a few months ago. I was too late to sign up. They went very fast.

I was a CT app user before I was a CT desktop user.

When my collection got past 100 bottles and my Excel desire was waning I thought there must be an app to do this. That’s how I discovered CT and then WB. My guess is many under 45 are the same way. Apps are sought out to solve problems not desktop websites.

The code is appended to the link I posted (TiV6SrKG). Join the CellarTracker Beta beta - TestFlight - Apple

1 Like

Another nice feature of the beta mobile app is your cellar is stored on the device so an Internet connection isn’t required to look around it.

I’m not on beta so I don’t know what other features support offline capabilities.

1 Like

I wouldn’t know anything about iOS…

3 Likes

We have an Android beta going now too. Just send a note to beta@cellartracker.com.

In case anyone is worried about desktop, that is a big chunk of my personal usage. But in general, desktop has aged pretty well. Current in-market mobile far less so. Hence the current heavy emphasis on the very new app. But we are also prioritizing back-end data/insights that will scale across platforms. (e.g. I just made changes to DOUBLE the number of wines that have drinking windows and also do some cross-vintage aggregation to ensure many more datapoints feeding into each drinking window)

15 Likes

Email sent