Poll: Do I have a buying problem?

Fu, you (and your posts) are the one who got me buying from said retailer [snort.gif]

Think outside the box and be open to possibilities, Steve.

At some point it will make more sense for you to move across the country instead of the wine.

Tell me that wouldn’t be an awesome conversation to have with a spouse over a spreadsheet and a glass of wine. [cheers.gif]

Nope! champagne.gif

You do not have a buying problem, you have a sharing problem… [wink.gif] [wink.gif] [wink.gif]

Great post, and thanks for your candor, which I know isn’t easy or comfortable. I think many of us struggle with over-collecting to varying degrees (though hopefully, mostly not to the “creating major financial and life problems” level), notwithstanding all those periodic threads on the board where everyone boasts about how smartly they have been in paring down their cellar and cutting out mailing lists.

For me, so much of what I love about wine is the discovery and the finding of new and different things – different regions, different producers, different styles, different varietals, different vintages – and the unending diversity of wine, but the constant desire to explore turns the discovering and acquiring into a thing of itself, above and beyond the drinking of wine itself.

Before I forced myself to cancel my beloved winebid account, I remember sometimes I would find something and bid on it, discover on Monday I was outbid, and actually be happy about it – I had essentially had the fun of finding and buying the wine, without needing to pay for it and pile it onto my oversized collection. That is one way in which I can see how the finding/acquiring/collecting is a dimension of its own, related to but separate from the actual love of drinking wine and sharing wine with friends, which I also have in spades.

I certainly agree with the “well, if you buy too much, stop your whining and just choose to buy less” motif, but as we all know if we’re being honest with ourselves, it can be hard to do that, especially for many of us like myself who are fortunate to be able to afford to buy too much wine without causing ourselves financial calamity.

I think if I really needed to make a harder push to cut back, one thing I would have to consider is disconnecting from this board, because I just read about too many interesting producers and wines that I want to try, and most of the time that involves buying more bottles (I go to plenty of tastings, but it’s not as though I can usually read about some great Loire red and just go find a 2 ounce pour of it conveniently to try, plus most of the time if I could, it would only make me want to buy more bottles of it). But I do love this board and the people on it, so that would be a tough thing to do.

Hopefully, I can just keep cruising along and maintain enough control not to get into problems bigger than my wife nagging me occasionally and houseguests wondering what all those cardboard boxes in the guest room are doing there. But I do want to make sure I keep a close eye on myself so I can avert any real problems before they arrive.

Depends.
If you plan on drinking it all eventually then I say no.
But that’s from someone who shipped 100 cases of wine from Europe after living there 3 years. [highfive.gif]

Mike Evans, very nice post!

No. I think you’re problem is that you have too much money.

That’s not a problem. The problem is that Steve doesn’t have enough friends to drink with.

Which reminds me…if I wanted to submit an application to be your new BFF, where exactly would I send my résumé ?

I saw Steve’s list of the stuff he sold off. There were many problems evident.

Warning! I am ITB

1. While 56 is the most common pallet configuration, I’ve seen pallets from 48 - 70.
  2. For bag-in-box, I’ve seen pallet configurations of 70, 84, 88 and 90. Steve, are either of your pallets bag-in-boxes?
  3. Unless you are brushing your teeth with Trocken Rieslings from the Saar in a cold vintage, they won’t help with the Cali Cab stains.
  4. Tomorrow morning I have to bust up about 40 empty cases (10 wood, 30 cardboard). The cardboard goes to the recycling center. The wood is kindling. I have to do this because they are cluttering up the storm cellar steps, which I need free to bring in the summer drinking wine next week. As I’m in Maine, this is serious (as I’ve often said, why do they call it tourist season if you can’t shoot 'em?).
  5. I feel so virtuous and moderate as the incoming summer shipment is currently 16 cases (only!.
  6. Brett Favre.

Dan Kravitz

A very nice post, but I have to admit one of my reasons for coming here is to feel normal.

It must be tough to feel normal when everybody else is calling you Odd.

Yes indeed. [tease.gif] Fortunately not in Norway, where Odd is a reasonably common (but currently unfashionable) name, meaning (traditionally) Edge. Doesn’t mean I’m a fan of U2 though.

Now that’s odd. How can you not be a fan of U2? [scratch.gif]

Ken, he still hasn’t found what e’s looking for …

I’m sure U2 will live with or without him.

This thread is spinning Out of Control.

Yet I will follw it.

That’s Odd