Plan for one day in Montalcino

I’m looking for some ideas…I have basically one day, Friday after next, in Montalcino. We’re driving down from Florence in the morning and all I have planned so far is an 11:30 tasting at Le Chiuse. I’m thinking some lunch after but beyond that, I could use some ideas. Thanks!

The Fort of Montalcino has a bunch of very good wines to sample.

4 Likes

It wouldn’t be tasting, but spending some time around the Abbey in Sant’antimo is well worth the trip

1 Like

I did this, completely random, and enjoyed it.

1 Like

The Mrs. and I were recovering from some bad gelato the night before, so all we could do was look. They had Biondi-Santi in 1, 2, and 3 oz pours!

1 Like

You have to stop at Cipressi di San Quirico d’Orcia and take pictures. I think it’s the law. LOL

You’ll drive right by it. In and out in 15 minutes

1 Like

Highly recommend the Abbey. Try to get there early as the light shining through the windows is magical.
You may also wish to time your visit to when there is Church service as the monks sing Gregorian chants. Just try to avoid the school bus crowd as it is a frequent field trip destination for the local schools. Unless of course you like to hear middle school kids snickering and talking while the teachers shussshhh them in Italian with an occasional “Silencio!”

3 Likes

1 Like

Will be back there in June. Have Antinori booked in the am, going to do a tasting in and around Montalcino in the afternoon. They don’t pour the riser as.

I’ve done Conti Costanti, Poggio Antico and Ciacci Piccolomini previously.

Couldn’t find a contact for Valdicava. That would be a nice one to try.

1 Like

Had a good visit at Le Ragnaie a few years back. And highly recommend Locanda Demetra for lunch/dinner.

1 Like

On my very short list! Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks, yes I think it will be a stop!

Boccon Divino is very good and a beautiful vista patio. Very good wines by the glass too.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g635634-d1791475-Reviews-Ristorante_Boccon_DiVino-Montalcino_Tuscany.html

1 Like

This is a great place up the hill from the Abbey:

1 Like

I would suggest going to Poggio di Sotto, but you may need to email them in advance for an appointment.

2 Likes

We tasted at Le Ripi last year and really enjoyed it. More corporate than I normally prefer but the facility is really neat. The lasagna they served was one of the best things we ate the entire trip.

1 Like

The wife and I went to Montalcino ten years ago, also for just one day.

We had a tasting at Poggio Antico which was very nice, then strolled through town and popped into random spots to taste the wines. Cant wait to go back for a longer multi day visit…

1 Like

In addition to Forteza stop by the other main Enoteca. They have 100 wines available for tasting in a huge Enomatic system. Wine Room — Enoteca di Piazza

Grab a glass and a card and off you go. My buddy and I each bought a case to ship home and they didn’t charge us for all the wines we tasted. We swing by everyime we visit Montalcino. They also have a good menu for a light lunch or snacks. What a terrific time to be visiting. You should get to taste most of the 2019’s.

You’re probably aware but worth mentioning don’t miss Enoteca Pitti Gola in Florence. It’s everything everyone raves about.

3 Likes

I assume you are looking for wineries since this is wine talk, but Cascate del Mulino, Civita di Bagnoregio, and Parco Archeologico Città del Tufo were all unforgettable.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions! I did promise my wife it wouldn’t be 100% wine centric.