Petrus And Tax

Is that the TOTAL value of 4 bottles of 82 Petrus???

No that is 2 bottles of 1985 and 2 bottles of 1982.
If that man that mentioned Catiwiki prices above is right,hopefully I will do better there.
Not back here until tomorrow,again thanks to all the people that offered me advice.
Best,
Linda

Linda - I didn’t read the entire thread but I used to import wine. When we wanted samples sent over from wineries, they used our importers license. When I wanted to act as a broker, independent of the company, I needed my own. The US laws are very strange. You can carry the wine in. Each individual is allowed to bring in a certain amount of alcohol duty free - not bottles of wine. To figure it out, you’d have to figure how much alcohol is in each bottle, times the number of bottles. That comes out to a few cases. Nobody in customs cares. I’ve brought in many cases of wine with no problem.

To ship it is a completely different story. They’ll let you legally carry in a lot of wine, but to ship a few bottles, they want you to clear customs or they send it back. So you either work with a company that does that sort of thing, or you label it a gift, samples, or juice, all of which it is.

The issue is not about avoiding taxes, etc., it’s about getting through the bizarre legal maze of US alcohol rules. Moreover, even if you ship between states, and even if you are shipping from yourself on vacation in CA to yourself at home in a different state, you may run into trouble with UPS, FedEx, or some of the other shippers that are being hounded by various local authorities.

Taxes are separate but not unrelated. Private individuals are not supposed to sell wine to each other. And yet, they do it all the time. Still, unless the locals have an axe to grind, they’re not likely to hunt you down for a few bottles.

But I hope the guy’s check clears before you ship, especially if you label it as a gift. Otherwise, you may never see payment.

Guy who doesn’t know how Rico works talking like he knows how Rico works. [snort.gif] [snort.gif] [snort.gif] [snort.gif] [snort.gif] [snort.gif]

I would not assume that FedEx in Nice knows about shipping wine to the US in general, or about Pennsylvania in particular.

The neat thing about other online sites is that you can connect to them via the exact same internet that connect you here. Find Petrus at Catawiki's auctions - Catawiki

But geez those prices are getting really tempting,Linda

Guess everything is okay.
Early morning in Europe,middle of the night EST.
It is showing as being in Memphis,TN.
It must be taking the scenic route.
Best,
Linda

Memphis is the FedEx hub.
Maybe it clears customs into the US there? (Guessing)
Then on to PA.
Good luck, hope it gets there without incident.

Nah. Them good ol’ boys is drinking down some of that there Pete Roos just came in.

That’s where it goes through for customs.

And sits in ninety degree heat for a week.

Boys and girls, FYI, PA is no longer the wine black hole that it was as recently as last summer. They now allow wineries to ship to the state for an annual nominal fee (I think its 300 dollars) so the days of cops staking out wine stores in NJ have come and gone (This has not happened for many years anyway.) Every winery in California that I buy from now ships directly to PA except Marcassin. That being said, I would not want to cheat them out of money, especially after you posted about it here.

How would you know what happens in NJ, all the way on the other side of the commonwealth? Any good stores in Ohio?

The wine is clearly not home free yet. It’s in Memphis but has it cleared customs?

Depending on the correctness of the import paperwork done by FedEx in France, it could sit cooking in Memphis and be returned or confiscated. Or it could sail through customs.

While it sounds like PA has made progress with respect to winery direct-to-consumer shipments, this is not that. Will FedEx even attempt to send it to a PA address if it’s labeled as alcohol? Or is it just labeled as a “gift?”

I do hope it makes it and that Linda reports back on the outcome.

Can you post the tracking number? I can’t take the suspense.

Too many people with too much money think that they are above the rules and laws of other lowly people.

She never posted a pic of the bottles, you think there is actually a tracking number?

The illegitimacy of his/her posts is epic.

I have a child that lives in Memphis, happy to have them pick this Petrus up at the FedEx hub, of course then I can 100% guarantee it won’t make it to PA. :tada::man_dancing::wine_glass:

im really grateful to these Petrus posts for the entertainment value though.

Maybe she is really Ray.