Petrus And Tax

If someone is buying 4 bottles of 82 petrus you’d think they could afford a plane ticket to pick up the bottles.

Yes, the Pennsylvania State Police have been known to stake out liquor store parking lots in New Jersey and note Pennsylvania license plates on cars that are being loaded up with wine, then nab the drivers when the import wine to PA.

Cant you just declare wine and pay import dutybased on abv ? For wine its like $3 a bottle. I did not think cost was an issue for alcohol

If you’re carrying it yourself in a suitcase, you’re correct. The OP is talking about shipping the wine.

I tell you what, if I were a Fed, working for an alphabet-soup agency, and if I wanted to procure a warrant to read the last 10 years’ of PMs at Commerce Corner, then I’d run my entrapment sting by posing as a newlywed bridezilla from hell, who was trying to monetize her wedding presents so as to launder the proceeds without any paying taxes, and then I’d print out all the You-Go-Girl fanboy responses from the pedestalizing white knight cucks, staple it to the warrant application, and hand it to the Federal Judge.

Of course, another possibility is that someone from Wine Disorder is trying to make us all look like idiots.

Which honestly wouldn’t be that difficult.

I can’t tell whether you’re being sarcastic, but I’m gonna take the comment at face value, and agree that, yes, if you are in a licensed profession, then getting even the slightest little felony on your record will completely destroy your life.

I know of a fellow locally, in pediatric maxillofacial surgery, who did three years of a general surgery residency, two years years of research in general surgery, one more year of a chief residency in general surgery, three years of a plastic surgery residency, and one final year of a specialized pediatric & craniofacial surgery residency, before he was finally ready to be licensed in his profession.

That’s ELEVEN YEARS of post-graduate training [AFTER medical school].

What the hell is he gonna do if he gets a felony on his record?

Mow lawns for a living?

Linda

I don’t think those advising you to be cautious are just trying to “get” you. I’m not American but have been on this board long enough to see many sorry tales of the difficulties and legalities of shipping wine into and around the US. I would take the cautions at face value. Sure, MOST of the time people just get away with the risk and labeling something as a gift works out ok. But I’m not sure you’re in a great spot to be taking those risks - if the wine is destroyed, your buyer probably won’t pay up, and worse of course if someone starts charging you with crimes. I’d suggest you either: 1) follow all of the laws etc 2) arrange F2F pick up (e.g. fly home with the wines in your baggage) or 3) find alternative buyers in Europe. As a last resort, you should be able to find a retailer happy to take them off your hands (though at a discount of course). Good luck.

Thank you all for your advice.
I just spoke with Fed Ex and they told me they are a customs broker and they take care of that side of things.
I also spoke with an uncle that is a lawyer,he said he doubts that anybody in any Federal Agency is interested in 4 bottles of wine,however better to do it the right way.
I am not in Nice at the moment,however I asked the lady that boxed up the wine to put the correct value 5400 USD on the customs forms.
As a man said above 3 dollars a bottle of the wine is not a lot if anybody wants to charge it.
Best,
Linda

Just wondering about the black UN Helicopters? and the Patrick Henry posters?.
Best,
Linda

FedEx requires you to have an alcohol beverage license to ship wine.

So I don’t understand why they would be so cavalier about saying they are customs brokers, unless you didn’t tell them it was wine you were shipping.

You can claim the correct value but if the cargo is illegal it doesn’t matter.

Fed Ex Trade Networks may be the worst custom’s brokerage in the industry.

Also, ninety percent chance that this shipment gets flagged for FDA approval.

Sorry to pile on, but PA does not allow residents to purchase alcohol from private sellers or even retailers (other that the PA Liquor Control Board stores). It is only within the past year or so that we can purchase from wineries, provided that they comply with relatively onerous licensing processes.

I mentioned on 9/4 on Linda’s selling wine post that Europe has an auction site for wines and beverage alcohol: catawiki.

I quick google search of catawiki and 1982 Petrus and 1985 Petrus show:

In Oct of 2017 a bottle of 1982 Petrus sold on catawiki for $3,361 (I don’t know how auction fees there work, this is just hammer price).

1982 Chateau Petrus, Pomerol – 1 bottle - Catawiki.

Then in just the last week a bottle of 1985 Petrus sold on catawiki for $1636

These prices far beat the 1350 pounds she was offered by the British guy for the 1982 and the 650 pounds for the 1985 (though for sure I could see how someone would offer that - to turn around and double his money).

Linda, by using the catawiki platform you can make the kind of money outlined above and not worry about the legality of shipping beverage alcohol.

Given all this, I hope you can put to rest your desire to continue posing here on this topic.

Feel free to post about other topics, by all means.

That’s an important point. It’s not just federal customs rules you have to worry about. You also have to comply with the state’s rules, and Pennsylvania’s are strict. FedEx is already refusing to make domestic delivery of wines to many states because of state laws, so there’s no way they’ll accept an overseas shipment to one of those states.

I have no idea,I assume Fed Ex rules vary from place to place complying with local legislation.
Fed Ex in France said no license is required and they take care of customs in The USA.
It is on its way,Fed Ex must know what they are doing,they are all over the world.
Best,
Linda

Adios Petrus!

Thank You
I will have a look at that tomorrow,I only have 8 bottles left,or maybe 6,if a local guy is for real,not just drunk talk.
That is a lot more than the British guy gave me or the guy from Philly.
Best,
Linda

Y hola dinero.
Se esta vendiendo lentamente.