Personal Introduction

Hi there,

I am new to the forum and would like to take the opportunity to introduce myself shortly before asking my questions… newhere

My name is Pascal, I do live in the south-west of Germany, known as Baden. It’s a great place to be, we have aspargus fields (yummie), Mercedes-Benz and Audi nearby as well as the famous “Weinstrasse” (wine route). Mostly, white wine is created here although I have also tasted some great rosé as well as red ones. From my name you can expect that I have something to do with France: I was born near to Paris, in Neuilly-sur-Seine and luckily my family owns a small chalet in the middle of the Médoc. So I used to drink Bordeaux from the wine growers next to our place. It’s mostly a good but simple wine, but I also use to buy a Cru Bourgois (Chateau de la Croix) for years. Now, as I am getting older (this sounds spooky!), I prefer to drink less but better wines (according to Churchill and his cigars). I have therefore bought a variety of bottles from Bordeaux and St. Emilion. My favorite so far is the Chateau Grand Pontet. I have never smelled such a bouquet and tasted such a fruity and smooth wine… I think I like it more because its main grape is merlot and not cabernet souvignon. flirtysmile I am looking forward to the end of june when I will be going to the west coast again for several weeks. I am planning to test a bunch of wines.

So far with the introduction; now it comes to my questions:

• I have read of ISO tasting glasses several times but I cannot find something like this in amazon.de (they use to have anything ususally). Do you have any clue where I can get them?
  • Regarding my preferred price range up to 20€, what Bordeauxs and neighbors would you recommend?

Thanks and best regards,

Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Willkommen!!

You live in a lovely part of the country; I spent the summer there last year.

As far as the ISO glasses (I don’t like them) – have you used them? If not, there is probably a Jacques’ Wein-Depot somwhere near your. They use the ISO glasses. Go try a bunch of wines and see if you like them. If you get a Kundenkarte they will probably give you 4 of them.

As for budget Bx – use the search feature here – LOTS of info.

Welcome to the board. I would love to hear more of your favourite wines from the area in which you live.

Welcome, Pascal. I lived in Germany in several different towns as a civilian working for the USA Army. I also took French classes in high school and college and have visited France on several trips. I like some of the Merlot-based wines from France but I am even more fond of Burgundies.

Salut Pascal et bienvenue. J’habite en suisse donc si vous me contactez si vous venez jamais près de lausanne .

Regarding good Bordeaux Merlot based wines, I would suggest exploring wines from Lalande de Pomerol. I like Château La Chenade in particular. Denis Durantou, the propriétaire and vigneron at Château L’Eglise Clinet, has taken this property under his control and oversees both the work in the vines and the vinification process in the cellar. The fruit isn’t as “noble” or complex as that of his primary estate but it certainly is very good wine and the price is very difficult to beat. I generally pay less than 15CHF per bottle.

Welcome to the board and I hope you continue to profit from the wisdom of the wider audience.

Wecome, Pascal. Mmmmm, spargel

Thanks a lot to all of you. I am already packing my stuff as I will be heading to the Medoc next Thursday with my wife and daughter. Unfortunately, there is no good weather at the west coast at the moment.

I wrote down some of the suggestions in this forum and will try to find these bottles and taste them… :slight_smile:

Pascal