Perrotti-Brown to launch her own publication

Thanks for clarifying - I misread Wikipedia!

Johan–one thing I notice is that you are sometimes listed as Beglund and sometimes as Berglund. Not a big deal as far as I’m concerned, but you might want to fix it.

1 Like

I’ll happily list as ITB if it is required by all others working with wine publications also but I could not find any compatriots in the list as they have not seemed to registered on that.

Yeah, I think that is the fault of an auto fill function many moos ago. Tried changing it but did not seem to work.

1 Like

Easy fix, outlined here

Yes, David directed me there also. And yeah as I said, I was about to join the group but noticed that not a single one my fellow compatriots from TWA, Decanter, Vinous and what have you had done so. And I guess have not been asked to. I will happily follow suit.

Cheers

3 Likes

Different strokes I guess. None of my serious wine friends had subscriptions. They didn’t particularly care. The people who subscribed in the 1990s and 2000s were people who wanted to buy highly-scored wines.

When Parker started, wine wasn’t a big deal in the US, so most of his subscribers were learning along with him. When he had become the established voice, sometime in the 1990s, retailers had learned that shelf talkers were effective sales tools. You could walk into the most forgotten dusty wine store in Manhattan or Brooklyn or the Bronx and they would have the WA laying around. When he got enough subscriptions to quit his job as a lawyer, those weren’t broken out into individuals vs trade and the early subscribers may well have been individuals. But by the 1990s, anyone in the trade knew that the retailers would start putting in orders as soon as the latest edition came out. The WA wasn’t particularly interesting to read.

Johan,

If by “following suit” of your compatriots, means you aren’t going to tag that you are ITB until they do, it strikes me that you’re being obstinate. To my recollection, your compatriots either don’t post as frequently as you, and when they do, it is more wine-related, and they are not pushing/defending their publications like you are. The exception is William K, and no offense is intended here, but he is more widely recognized than you.

My $.02……

6 Likes

You’re right. I am being obstinate I suppose. But I think either you treat all equally or you do not. Feel free to ask us all to add an ITB or do not ask any of us. William is of a stature I do not assume to imitate. But he is also second in command at the industries leading publication and representing a much larger financial interest and, much more importantly, market sway than I do. To say that there is not pushing/defending of brand from any participant from a wine publication like that is simply not correct. If you have a fair look there is certainly article promotions from especially Jeff but also William and others.

I would also argue that size and reputation is irrelevant while equal fairness and equal treatment is. So I do not understand your separation or accept the basis of your argument. In fact, if anything, it would lead to the logical conclusion that the more important you are the more transparent you should be. So you have it the wrong way round.

This thread is about a specific subject which I happen to know a lot about and be involved in. I post in other threads also as you might have noticed. In those I try to stick to the subject at hand and add value as a participant.

1 Like

Would happily do it, Yohan, and just tried to, but couldn’t work out how to add the ITB flair as the option didn’t come up… Since my participation here antedates my current employment, I confess it had never occurred to me, though I do cite The Wine Advocate in my signature. And you’re right, I do sometimes address “customer service” questions here, so perhaps Todd or some other kind soul will help me to add the tag.

5 Likes

Well, I guess we’re in da club then as the yanks say. Cheers

2 Likes

Johan, I recently subscribed. I was disappointed to find that the site’s ratings are not integrated with CellarTracker like Jen Dunnuck and Vinous are. Are there any plans to add that integration?

Thanks Jim!

Yes indeed. It is something in the pipeline. Hope it will be possible to have finished soon. There has been quite the work load the last year and taken a bit longer than expected.

Awesome, thanks.

I took advantage of the six day trial subscription. I enjoyed it, but unsubscribed–and deleted the bookmark bar reference–after two days. Imagine my surprise when, four days later, I was charged $140 for a year’s subscription. Immediately contacted customer service re my unsubscribe request. No response; so there’s that.

On the other hand, I found it to be a first class publication with exceptional photography and an interesting, reflective approach to evaluating wine.

I unsubscribed only because 90% of my wine buying is Napa/Sonoma.

I wish them well, but would be happy if my unsubscribe request was honored.

1 Like

Hi Ray,

Sorry to hear that something went amiss there. We have had quite a nice rate of people staying on with the free trial subscription offer. And then again, some have opted out also. It has not been an issue previously that this has happened with the system not registering cancel request. An opt out is an opt out.

I actually went through my incoming emails forwarded to me last night and saw yours. Did not have time to respond but it will be amended this weekend. It’s a fairly full on candy crush en primeur schedule so let’s blame the Bordelaise for my tardiness.

We are make a huge Napa/Sonoma push this year so I hope to pied piper you back…

Cheers,
Johan

2 Likes

Thank you Johan.

@Greg_K @martijnstolze

Hey Guys,

Feel free to give me all the grief you see fit here and I’m sure we can have bumpy ride down this Niagara Falls of a discussion where you happily ignore anything I say.

Cheers,
Johan