Pernand Vergelesses

We just finished a bottle of the 2017 Olivier Leflaive blanc [Pernand Vergelesses] which was sealed with a longish DIAM10, defying premox and TCA. I’d had a bottle of this a year ago and it continues to hold well, Medium bodied, 13%, with some wood supposedly, but it’s such a light touch that it’s not noticeable. I find it to be crisp, lemony but others found white pear notes. Acidity is balanced with the fruit well enough so it doesn’t need food to be enjoyed; we had it as a pre prandial apertif. Although CT comments are thin about this producer’s AOC bottling - across vintages - I don’t agree with those who find it ‘California-esque’. We all thought this a good example of a restrained French chardonnay. For my tastes, a B on the scorecard.

Reading this old thread, I checked my tasting notes and found these:

2002 Volnay - Caillerets in 2018: Drunk at a Champagne dinner with Merrill Lundquist when she was in town, so no detailed notes, but I wrote: “Almost New World fruit.” Not what you’d expect 16 years after the vintage.

The 2009 Les Vergelles (not Iles de Vergelles) in 2016 was also surprisingly fruity and primary, though also quite structured. Happily, there was none of that New World cherry candy quality.