Pernand Vergelesses

I have been enjoying the wines from Chandon de Briailles for many years (I think the oldest I have had is 1999). I cannot think of a winery over this time period making wines that taste less like a new world pinot noir and was very puzzled by the OP’s post. I had a 2007 recently that was wonderful. However, I do note that the last time I visited there (in 2016), we were shown around by a winemaker from Australia. I have assumed that he works under the direction of Claude and François de Nicolay but this thread makes me wonder if there has been any change in direction by the winery. I have not tasted a vintage newer than what I tasted there is 2016 and so cannot comment on the 2017s. Are they making wines differently from the way that the wines there have traditionally been made. I hope not as I am a fan of their wines.

Was this the “Sans Souffre” version?

I don’t know? Is that on the bottle somewhere? Unfortunately my bottles are in my offsite.

William,

I understand. Thanks for the invitation to chat via PM, but I’m sure you’re very busy. I really appreciate the thought, though!

I’m pretty much in Howard’s camp though I discovered them with the 1998 vintage and have had as far back as 1993. I’d be intellectually disappointed to hear that the style has changed though since I don’t buy new release Burgundy any more it doesn’t affect me personally.

Regarding William’s point one producer which I’ve seen move in style is Fourrier. I loved their wines in the late 90s, early 2000s but stopped buying due to the price increases after 2005. But occasional tastes at recentish events have made me happy that I stopped buying as they struck me as being much more fruit-driven than the elegant beauties I remembered.

As William notes the approach of the young Turks - and Turkesses - cannot be overlooked.
But Chandon de Briailles other than much, much better housekeeping and more prominent positioning of biodynamics, haven’t changed that much since the start of the 2000s - the former with the aid of Australian, Christian, the latter as usually with mainly whole clusters - there are two additional changes that can’t be overlooked though - the reduction/rejection of in-elevage sulfur (as is the current vogue) and the warmth of recent vintages. Each has an influence but all are related - it’s like iso/shutter speed/aperture though with additional dimensions - but what I’m (and William too, is) saying is that you can’t change one without influencing the others, but particularly I’m sure that the climate has much to do with the young drinkability of the reds of today, as there’s an element of the same in more staid producers too - certainly vs 10-20 years ago…

So much for terroir. [stirthepothal.gif]

It is on the label. I have only seen the Sans Souffre-version in a wine shop in Beaune, so it’s probably not available everywhere.

Makes sense as sulphur is more necessary for wines being shipped overseas where who knows what kind of temperatures it’s encountering.

Well, at the end of the day, the terroir doesn’t come with instructions as to whether to destem, how much to crush, how often to punch down, how long to macerate, how much new oak to use and from which cooper, etc. The site influence—as modulated by vine / rootstock genetics, viticulture, and harvest date—will express itself in things such as malic-tartaric ratio, thickness of skins, size of berries, degree of maturity, etc; and that will be present in the wine, if its chemistry or concentration are not artificially adjusted, more or less irrespective of the winemaking choices illustrated above.

Now, when actually making wine in Burgundy, for all that I have just said, one does get a sense of what the grapes seem to “want”… but I am not under any illusions that this is anything other than a personal emotion. And different people can arrive at quite different conclusions—even if they share similar aesthetic priorities.

I’m not sure how available it is either, but FYI it is available in Texas.

That certainly sounds atypical.

My fave at the moment is 2017 Domaine Marius Delarche Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru Ile des Vergelesses which is starting to drink well.

Well, I went back to the well.

I got a screaming deal on some 2017 MM PV 1er Les Vergelesses, so I bought the case. Opened one tonight, pop and pour, and it has an intriguing nose with some bright red fruit framed by oak with a hint of sawdust and cedar chip potpourri. Weight is decent and the palate is enjoyable, fresh red fruit, but the finish goes sour/bitter.

Good news is the ripeness is much more toned down than the previous specimen. I think this one could turn out pretty nicely and can’t go wrong for $30. Going to give it the full treatment with more air and more time in the bottle and hope the finish comes around.

dupe.

Envoyer just offered Domaine Louis Jadot
Pernand-Vergelesses
“Clos de la Croix de Pierre”
Blanc 2017 for $29.99/btl.

Well, my last bottle was from my at-release purchase of the 2006 Chandon de Briailles Ile de Verselesses 1er. A different vintage from, but also so unlike the original TN in this thread. My 2006 showed nice tart, sour cherries. Some broth, nicely-layered plump, cool red fruit, and a good touch of earthiness. I just love the overall makeup. As old school any Pinot as I’ve had.

1 Like

My guess is that when it is 14 years old the 2017 will taste much more like your 2006 than like a new world Pinot. I do note that 2017 does seem like a very user friendly vintage, but I think there is enough stuffing in 2017s to age well like most red Burgs do.

Does one usually judge whether a wine shows its terroir at 3 years old or when the wine is mature? Seems like a pretty silly comment by Markus.

Even while I enjoyed the 2006 at 14 y o, I’m still sensing better things to come with the remaining 5 bottles that I plan to keep cellared.

I still have some 2002s from CdB. My only 2006s from them are Cortons that I am still holding.