Perhaps a silly question, but?

I have resigned myself to the persistent misuse of “varietal” for “variety” on this board. I have reluctantly given up reacting to the misuse of “begs the question” as well. But Otto corrected me for not knowing the difference between a variety and a varietal as if “varietal” meant some other taxonomic distinction, instead of being a misused adjectival synonym for variety. That was a new one on me. By the way, if that word comes to designate a distinction between variations from the same clonal stock, I’d be happy to accept that usage as we are clearly in need of a sub-variety distinction here, though the grammarian in my will still get the creeps at this nouning of an adjective. If that meaning comes to pass, I vote that the OED attribute it to Otto.

[highfive.gif]

[rofl.gif]

At least I said “raises” instead of “begs” the question!

This is interesting, not how I had thought of it but I’m certainly no expert. Thanks!

And many of us applauded. [cheers.gif]

It’s so pleasant around here when we all heed mom’s advice to “Use your words.”

I really can’t understand how you make this sound like an opinion.

Of course Pinots Blanc, Gris, Meunier, Noir etc. are treated as different varieties in everyday wine talk for clarity’s sake. I do that, all the professionals do that, everybody does that.

However, if you want to get technical, color mutations or aromatic mutations are not different varieties per se, but instead only mutations. This is not just me and Carole Meredith, ask any wine professional worth their salt. Or just consult Wine Grapes by Robinson, Vouillamoz et al.

So while normally regarded as distinct varieties because of their VERY obvious differences in the resulting wines, these several varieties are, in effect, only one:
Pinot Blanc
Pinot Gouges
Pinot Gris
Pinot Meunier
Pinot Noir
Pinot Noir Precocé
= Pinot

Gewürztraminer
Savagnin
Savagnin Rosé
= Savagnin

Garnacha Peluda
Grenache Blanc
Grenache Gris
Grenache Noir
= Garnacha

and so forth.

I agree that it is much easier to treat them as separate varieties and that’s what I do. However, the current definition for a grape variety is one that is genetically different from both its parents, so if you want to be exact, these above examples are not a dozen or so different varieties, but only three. You have to remember that a mutation still retains the DNA of its original grapevine and as a scion it doesn’t have parents, so by this definition (which is agreed upon by wine professionals) it isn’t actually a distinct grape variety. However, we really don’t need to argue what they are in technical terms, as everybody is still going to keep treating them as separate varieties. I just think this is an interesting and important piece of information worth knowing.

Otto - This whole argument began because you kept insisting that pinot Gouges is pinot blanc. But now you’re admitting it’s more useful to speak of it as a different grape, even if that’s not genetically correct.

Sheesh!

Thanks, for my daily use it´s been well answered …
flirtysmile

I have repeatedly said that it makes sense to speak of it as a distinct grape variety, even though it is technically identical to a Pinot Blanc (i.e. a color mutation of Pinot Noir) and - even more accurately speaking - they all are one and the same variety.

Just to make everything clear, here I quote myself (post #21):

Some people just won’t take yes for an answer. In any case, Gerhard, you see whence your question comes.

You are very very confused. Grape mutation is somatic, meaning growth on a vine past the point the mutation occurs replicates as the mutation. On the particular vine the mutation occurs, depending where it occurred, you could have both Pinot Noir and Pinot Blanc clusters. Propagation is through choosing to graft or plant the mutated material, the new clone. This has zero to do with breeding, by definition. Breeding creates a new variety, not clone.

There was a discussion here recently on when it’s best to use a standardized variety name and when using differing names for distinct clones is better. It gets messy.

The OP is about (still) blanc de noir, not blanc de blanc, so this is all a tangent. As I noted upthread, none of the blanc de noir Pinots I’ve had resembled any Pinot Blanc I’ve had. (Of course, needing to avoid color is a constraint one has to deal with that doesn’t exist in making a white wine from white grapes.)

Nor does the Gouges blanc, which is tastes more like a blanc de noir. That’s why I brought it up in the first place!

Martin Ray (subject of another recent thread) used to make one and claimed that it was the only wine to pair with Turkey.

Since ripening flavors and phenolics in synchrony is such a challenge in CA Pinot Noir, I have often wondered why more people don’t make whites. Guess the answer is obvious, however.

Can you please explain to me, Wes, how realigning the alleles from the parent vine into another vine creates a new gene? Only genetic mutation does that. Mendel can plant and replant those beans, but he’s only going to get the same genes unless something mutates. Now, of course, replication by itself induces mutations, which are really not much rarer than typing errors, since that, in essence, is what causes them. So you may mean that mutations induced by crossbreeding are the only ones that cause variation, but that would be a different claim.

Varietal is an adjective. People mean “variety” but they don’t know or think it’s cooler to use the adjective “varietal” instead.

Really they mean “cultivar”, which is a variety that humans have cultivated.

Some cultivars originate as sports or mutations - a lot of roses have been propagated after appearing first as a sport. Some originate as hybrids.

Varieties can reproduce true to type so if you plant the seed, you get the same plant. But that’s not the case with cultivars - if you plant the seed you don’t know what you’ll get. So you propagate by rooting cuttings, which is what they do with grape vines.

Naming conventions differ for the two. But on this forum it doesn’t matter - people use lower case for grape names and surely wouldn’t use any horticultural naming convention.

Sports can occur multiple times and they may look the same to us. So a red rose or red grape can have a sport that’s white, and then many years later a red version can have another sport that’s white. On one hand, they’re all the same, but on the other, they’re three cultivars if you keep propagating them. And cultivars can be mixtures of genotypes, depending on whether the plant comes from outcrossing or inbreeding.

Greg, how does planting a seed from a cultivar not get you the same genome as the cultivar? Now I can understand how you might not know what you would get because you didn’t yet know all the genetic features of the cultivar, but that’ a different issue. Is there something about cultivars that changes normal plant reproduction?

I’ve advised you to read this article in the past, but as repetition is the mother of learning:

(T)he accumulation of mutations can’t produce a new grape variety. You might have several clones of Pinot Noir developing each with quite different characteristics, but they will remain Pinot Noir. A new variety is only produced with a mother and a father (vine sex), resulting in a seed that is then grown.

There’s an interesting point here. You could take the parents of a particular variety, where they are known, and cross them, but you wouldn’t get the same variety from this cross. Let’s use Chardonnay as an example. Its parents are Pinot and Gouais Blanc. If you cross Pinot and Gouais Blanc, however, you won’t get Chardonnay. You’ll get a new variety: the genetic mixing up that took place to produce Chardonnay was a unique event; in a similar way, I’m different to my sisters and brother, and even if my parents had had 3000 children they would never have had me again. [As an aside, if you cross Pinot Noir with Pinot Noir and grow a seed from this cross, you won’t still have Pinot Noir. There will be some genetic mixing up in the sex process that will result in a new variety.]

http://www.wineanorak.com/wineblog/wine-science/what-is-a-grape-variety-what-is-a-clone

It helps to quote the whole passage to see what he is actually saying:

"Most of these mutations will be invisible, and most will be neutral or deleterious. But occasionally they will be both visible and desirable. When it comes to taking cuttings for propagating, some vines might be just a little better than their neighbours, and if this is because of subtle genetic differences (rather than, for example, small differences in terroir that then influence the vine’s growth), then these will be captured by the propagation process.

This sort of selection results in a new clone of the variety. Over enough time, a range of such clones might be developed. Sometimes, however, clonal differences reflect nothing more than differing levels of virus infection (the infection will be passed on with the cutting), or perhaps epigenetic differences (heritable changes that aren’t based on DNA sequence changes).

But the accumulation of mutations can’t produce a new grape variety. You might have several clones of Pinot Noir developing each with quite different characteristics, but they will remain Pinot Noir. A new variety is only produced with a mother and a father (vine sex), resulting in a seed that is then grown."

It is, of course, true that mutations ALONE won’t produce a new variety if all you do is clone the mutated individual. All that entails is the pretty self-evident claim that sexual reproduction is a necessary element of genomic change. Goode doesn’t state that sexual reproduction is a sufficient cause. The same is true of mutation: it is a necessary cause but not a sufficient one.