PDX, December

Well that was a blast! Of the whites, the Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru ‘En Remilly’ 2013 stood out and from Oregon I felt the 2011 Maresh Chardonnay was hitting on all cylinders. A great showing considering it was rather closed 13 months ago.

Special thanks to Lee for getting the ball rolling and for bringing my wine of the night a 2001 Belle Pente Murto. Great producer, great vineyard, great vintage. Gorgeous.

I and so bummed that I missed this. I got caught up in an emergency and could not leave work. Sounds like it was a great time. What were the local wines sampled?

2011 Maresh Chardonnay
2013 Eyrie Chardonnay
2013 Briceland Chardonnay
2010 Westrey Pinot Oracle Vineyard
2014 Camreon Romato
1999 St. I Freedom Hill
1998 Panther Creek Freedom Hill
2012 DDO Arthur
2008 St. I Chardonnay Freedom Hill
2001 Belle Pente Murto

I thought the wine that Dan brought was the WOTN among the locals. But maybe it’s a Fight Club wine, and I’ve already said too much.

I did have a great time, and enjoyed meeting all the locals and Nicholas and Phil and Colleen. A great gang to spend the evening with.

Another quick followup. I took home leftovers of the BrIceland chard, the Murto, and the Pommard. The Murto surprised me by still showing well the next night. The chard showed better the next day, probably a combination of the air time and a better situation vis a vis the food and the other wines; this should have been flighted earlier had any of us had it before and known its structure. The Pommard also showed better the next day, with a bit more definition to go with the raw muscle it showed on the first day.

thanks for the follow up Lee, it’s definitely more fun to follow a wine over the course of a couple days than 15 minutes before the next wine. I’m not surprised the Briceland showed better later as I felt it had some stuff to blow off. The Maresh Chard on the other hand, didn’t show as well 4 days later, which makes me think I should just drink up over the next couple years.