Paulee AMEX pre-sale out

Unfortunately, not DRC, but rather Hudelot-Noellat. Sounds like they would be fine. Still undecided on whether we will go.

So you go to that drc tasting and people who go bring more wine?!

I believe they are talking about the auction and the gala dinner.

Got it. THAT makes sense…

I like the grand tasting because I get to see a number of producers I have visited in the past and to assess the current vintage. Gives me a very good overview of vintages. For example, I have long felt that I have a better sense of 2010 as a vintage because I went to the Paulee in NYC for that vintage and a lesser feel for 2009 because that one was in SF (I don’t go to the ones in SF). It is not just a matter of deciding what to buy; it is also just keeping up with Burgundy.

Also, I have a great time at the Grand Tasting - my #1 reason to go is it is fun. A number of my wine friends from DC go up for that and we have a good time together.

I have only been to the Verticals once. The downside to it is the room was much smaller than for the GT and there was much less food than at the GT. It just was not nearly as much fun. The biggest upside to the Verticals the one time I went was that I met a really generous wine collector from NJ who invited me, a good friend from DC and two of the Tucson lunch bunch to his facility where he stores his wines and opened more wines for us to drink. Still remember very fondly how much fun that was and how generous you were. [cheers.gif]

I am likely to attend grand tasting and vertical tasting.

Question really is whether with first press package I shell out another $1100 for gala dinner. It’s the last year I could buy first press :slight_smile:

God I miss that place. That after-Verticals party was tremendous fun.

Another alternative to the gala dinner or any of the other dinners is get with some NYers and other out of towers and set up your own dinner. You might miss some fantastic wines that you barely get to taste but you can still have some great wines that you can enjoy over a good dinner and make some new friends and it will cost you a lot less.

isn’t that just every day life everywhere? :wink:

True dat! But you can step it up for this dinner!

Love the idea. Though I know when a couple of people on this board have tried to arrange GC burg dinner, they couldn’t get enough interest and were accused of being elitist. Maybe it would be different around La Paulee.

@ Jonathan Sirot - are you reading this :slight_smile:?

My wine friends and I do a dinner every month, but once a year we up the wines a notch or two. For example, from this year, TN: Holiday dinner at the French Embassy, Washington D.C. - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers So, I agree with you.

Reading through the wines to be tasted at the verticals. Looks like Domaine d’Eugénie didn’t get the memo.

Rousseau, who they announced in advance, seems nowhere in sight. Ironically, given what DRC RC goes for the $9000 is probably a deal. Sadly, not one of which I will be taking advantage. Just the verticals, the Lafarge seminar and maybe the Morey seminar. I’m not buying current Burgundy, so the Grand Tasting is no longer so interesting. Howard is right that the food is better there than at the Verticals, but the wines?

I’ve been to the Grand Tasting, and most of these kinds of events the last few years (oh, except not the crazy expensive dinners like the Roumier and DRC ones this year). These are my impressions:

Grand Tasting. My favorite of the events, gives me an excellent chance to assess the vintage, try lots of old favorites, investigate new potential yums, and chat with a few wine makers that I’ve met before. There is a lot of wine (stuff doesn’t run out fast) and even more food. I’ve found that I have to pace myself but move steadily through the tables to hit the ones I really want, which is most of what is there. It IS crowded, sure, and the big names even more so, but not ridiculous. Most people there know what the purpose of the event is (i.e. getting the next wine in your glass). I always spit at these things otherwise I’d be plastered, and that’s no problem. If you’re likely to be buying 2017, and future vintages, then the GT is THE best event I know to learn a lot fast about Burgundy producers.

Verticals. I’ve done this a few times in the last few years, and will do it again this year. You can generally taste everything as long as you move steadily through the producers. Might be a bit crowded at Dujac, Rousseau, DRC level folks, but you still can get your glass filled. It’s been a lovely event. Highly educational in a different way, and less crowded than the GT. The wine makers themselves are usually pouring, so you can actually chat with them if you like doing that.

Gala Dinner. I’m mostly not doing this kind of thing anymore, I just don’t think they’re worth it. Yes, you get to a chance to taste a bunch of amazing wines. But the best stuff is usually held back at a few of the top tables and doesn’t travel far. You also have to be comfortable tasting a zillion wines while dining and socializing with a lot of strangers. For a social dynamo, these events are a treat. But for the $2500 it would cost to go with a buddy, I’d rather buy a few amazing bottles and really get to spend time with them. If you’ve never been to one of these … sure give it a spin. You might love it.

Auctions. You can probably get an invite, but really these are for buyers. Don’t be surprised if Zachy’s holds you back until close to the date to give existing customers preference. Still, every auction I’ve attended has been fun, social, friendly, and kind. As long as you like sitting in a room for hours while wine gets auctioned! If you’re not a buyer, it might end up being pretty boring. By the way, 2009 Hudelot Noellat RSV is a lovely bottle (hey, let’s have dinner!) but unnecessary for this kind of event. Sure, everyone will enjoy drinking it but you won’t score more points with that then with some respectable 1er in the $100 - $200 range. The fancier bottle won’t buy you anything at an auction. At a gala dinner, a fancier bottle will probably get you seated at a table with others with similar bottles, so that is more worth it.

Seminars. These are really good, but certainly not cheap for what you get. Still, fairly unique experiences.

Off-Grid. They haven’t announced this yet, but this has been a very good (though more crowded) event held earlier in the La Paulee week. Basically it’s a tasting of lots of smaller producers from in or near Burgundy, less expensive wines that you might not have heard of before. But also affordable-ish. An excellent educational opportunity. More casual, less food, but I like this one a lot.

Private events and dinners. I always try to organize or participate in as many of these as I can. It’s great to make friends and connect with them in NY.

Rich, that’s really helpful.

+1

Rich, I think that was a really good summary. The one caveat I would add is that for the Gala Dinner, if you know a few people around the room, you can walk around and share your bottle(s), and people are very friendly about sharing theirs (and what’s next to them). I find that towards the end of the evening especially, there’s a lot more sharing, and especially of the reds. Because the gala dinner spreads producers at every table, you’ll have the chance to try nice stuff regardless of which table you’re sat (and the wines I bring to these events are by no means on the highest end of the scale).

Greg, great point. These things are friendly events. Nothing like a little vinous lubricant to lower social barriers champagne.gif . I would certainly be more into it if I had a crew of friends going. As a San Franciscan, my NY network is pretty limited.

Touche! Of the large gala events I’ve gone to, I’ve found there to be the most sharing at this one.

My one piece of advice, if going to the gala dinner, is to eat beforehand. There’s not enough food and if you’re walking around the room, you might just flat out miss some courses.