Passionfish wines: Huet and Gonon, added Hirtzberger and 2016 Gonon

I still would not eat at Applebee’s. But I would drink there.

[winner.gif]

That’s a top 1% of a first world problem! [cheers.gif]

I hope the thread count on those sheets wasn’t perilously low! champagne.gif

Geez Merrill…I don’t know you, but you always came across to me on this Board as a chill person, a winemaker who loved nature and cats and people and food and wine…Your original post and follow-up posts on PassionFish seem way out of character for you. Did you just have a bad day? It’s ok, it happens to everyone…Maybe take a step back and come back in a few days. It’s your choice of course, but spur of the moment decisions are often regretted…

I felt nude and dirty under those covers, Anton. It was traumatic.

Huet today…Gonon tomorrow…

I’m sorry…reading too many of alan and Jeremy’s posts…just couldn’t help myself! [wink.gif]

That got weird

Piling on to support Passionfish…I’ve been there at least a 1/2 dozen times, and the food has always been good to very good, perhaps with a little mediocrity sprinkled in. Would I go were it not for the wine list? Maybe, but with the list it’s a no-brainer when in Monterey or Pacific Grove. I do agree with Alan that the front room is the place to sit and provides a better experience.

Serious question: what restaurants where you’d want to enjoy a few bottles of good wine (even if it’s from your cellar) are better than Passionfish in PG or Monterey?

The list is interesting, many of the wines are hard to find, and the cost is usually less than at retail. And as mentioned there are lots of half bottles. Last time I was there I got a split of Kongsgaard The Judge for $90. It was awesome. This place is a total breathe of fresh air. Sure, I can see somebody having a randomly rough night there, but a general bashing of the joint is head scratching.

I think this exact thread exists a couple other times on this site. :slight_smile:
I went to passionfish once a couple of years ago and my wife and I thought it was great. Food struck me as somewhat dated, as in not attempting to be of the moment, but that’s really not intended as a knock as everything we had was great. I’d go back—had a bottle of Dirty and Rowdy Semillon that was something like $30. C’mon.

Not a winemaker.

Huet today…Gonon tomorrow…

This is seriously good, Buzz! (Though I am sad to see Merrill go; I most always find her posts interesting–didn’t mean to pile on, just putting in my two cents.)

Welcome to my world. That’s how I feel inside my clothes.

OK, now that’s funny. I am not commenting on the disagreement, simply complimenting that genius play on words.

[rofl.gif] Like taking sand to the beach.

Do you realize how filthy the sand at the beach is? I always bring my own.

Assuming that Passionfish is a national chain (wrong?), wr had our office Christmas dinner at their Reston, Virginia branch a couple of years ago. I had no idea they had a good wine list because our boss/host is a teetotaler for religious reasons. The restaurant’s crab cakes, however, were as good as I’ve had anywhere, and this region makes a specialty of them.

that’s a different passionfish… not a chain.

They built a Passion Fish in Pacific Grove. Once.

The wife and kid play hockey?

Did you bring the 61 Cheval Blanc?
Duh.

We need more Applebee’s stories!