Passionfish wines: Huet and Gonon, added Hirtzberger and 2016 Gonon

1 time. 1 bad experience. Forever damned.
Isn’t this the same as if a person tried your wine once and said “I’ll never drink that crap again!”??
It doesn’t take much to cut people/businesses/government some slack, since we are all human.

Went to passionfish once. Ordered seafood. Was mediocre at best. But that’s my feeling of all the restaurants we went to in the area in the price range.

But I did drink a btl of awesome wine for near release price. So there’s that!

Wow. Elitist much?

Well, read on. I guess one is only allowed to post if it goes with the positive flow.

Tex, there is nothing “elite” about doing what we do, here, to make a living. Most of us ITB work very hard at what we do. Is buying or “growing” high end beef any different? Working with computers? Doctors, lawyers? We work at our jobs, we take care of our families and our homes with income from our work, and that is just about it.

The area suffers from being a tourist destination. You can do a LOT worse at most of the restaurants in Monterrey proper, particularly along Cannery Row (Bubba Gump’s anyone?). Without their wine list, I’d still go to PF when in the area, but maybe not as much as we do. I actually don’t know of a better restaurant in Pacific Grove proper. Maybe there’s something in Monterrey I’m unaware of, otherwise you probably have to go to Carmel - which is still touristy.

I hope no one would ignore you for expressing an opinion. It’s true that those of us who love PF do so in large part for their wine list, though I know plenty of winemakers who would be thrilled with their list as well. Most of the producers I know don’t drink their own wines that much, and rarely bring their own wines to dinner. I’m with you in a lot of ways, as I almost always BYOB to restaurants - but Passionfish is a rare exception (along with a few others that are well known for having good lists at more affordable prices).

Thank you, Alan. This is my last post on this thread or others. The entire spectrum, here, has become tiresome and cumbersome. Perhaps I will be back for BerserkerDay in January, but other than that, I am out.
I no longer want or need to deal with the scrutiny imposed here. People know how to get in touch with me.

Thank you to all whom I have met here. I cherish those relationships, and they will be ongoing in a private sense.

I’d agree that the food at PF is ok at best, but kudos to them for having such a varied, and price friendly list. I love dropping in for a few bottles when I’m in town.

What others have said is true, there isn’t a lot of great, or even good food in PG or Monterey, beyond a few legit taco/burrito spots out in Seaside.

not to detract from all the drama in this thread, but care to share some of those taco/burrito spots? Would be useful for future reference haha for anyone visiting the area.

I agree with others – it’s rare to find a restaurant that cares enough about sharing interesting wine at fair prices with their customers, so that alone makes supporting a place like Passionfish worth it in my book.

I am compelled to say a few nice words about Passion Fish.

1. The wine list is well considered and is “kind” in its pricing. Greatly appreciated. I loathe having to travel with wine and then having to ponder a restaurant’s menu to match what I happened to bring. If I want wine from home, that’s where I tend to drink it (or at friends’ houses.’) I appreciate lists like Passion Fish has and enjoy finding new wines working with restaurant wine staff. So, nothing but nice things to say about their list and wine service. I think I am “winey” enough to be be able to enjoy wine at Passion Fish without thinking I am slumming it.

2. Saying that the food is “perfectly OK” is a fine compliment. I don’t always need deconstructed caprese salad or foamed urchin parts to enjoy a meal. The fish there is fresh and they offer good variety and value. Maybe I am a foodie failure, but they provide good food and I don’t feel under-considered as a customer. (I also have a strange food allergy that they have always been super about accommodating.)

3. The staff has always been great. My son’s college roommate has family in Monterey and when he and his friends go visit, I love (love!) working with Passion Fish remotely to buy the kids a meal and get them used to relaxed dining and enjoying each others’ company in a nice setting. The staff has always treated them like jewels. The restaurant strives to make their experiences memorable. They allow the kids to easily taste each others’ dishes, make great recommendations for new experiences, and generally communicate to the kids what it’s like to be an appreciated diner. That counts for a lot, to me. The restaurant is kind to younger humans.

4. Sure, they are not French Laundry, but not every meal needs to be.

No ill will intended by any of this post.

La Tortuga in Seaside is the bomb.

Another vote here for Passionfish. We have been there numerous times and it may not be the best, but we have always found the kitchen to be solid and they get more bonus points for having an ever changing menu. Nearly 4K reviews on OpenTable and a solid 4.7 rating I believe shows the standard of the restaurant.

Try the Napa Valley where a large portion of the restaurants have the slight variations on the same menu that never changes and is boring beyond belief; salmon/halibut, pasta dishes, half a roast chicken, pork chop, steaks.

Sure, but folks in Napa look at menus differently.

Probably too late to ask, but what bottles?

I love hearing about stuff like that!

[cheers.gif]

My wife and I have eaten at pf multiple times and it’s not French laundry but let’s be clear - it’s not applebees either. IMHO I have been more than happy with the food and coupled with the wine list it is a place we will continue to enjoy

Merrill, this is a tangent, but I hope you’ll stick around and keep participating. I mean, when you say something like “the food was inedible”, you kind of have to expect that people will respond. I didn’t take any offense at you writing it, just sorry you had a bad experience.

This is my last post on this thread or others.

POTY candidate or claim chowder?

Let’s be realistic: If Applebee’s had that wine list, we’d be eating there too!

I ate at Applebee’s. Once. The best they had was Dewers. It was the night my Rover inadvertently ran over Bambi’s father, and left me stranded in BFE South GA, where I may have been the only person with full rows of teeth. I was desperate. It was midnight. I was hungry. I needed alcohol. Not wine, but the hard stuff. That Dewers - while not Macallan 18 - was nectar, elixir of the Gods. The food, however, was something one might find in a midden heap. I’m not sure any wine would bring me back there ever again. This was a rock bottom moment, never to be repeated again. And I stayed at a roadside motel, too. Oh the humanity…