Paso Robles Redux "One Last Time"

Andrew,

I would agree with other’s posters comments on Dover Canyon, Cypher (referred to above as their old name, Four Vines) McPrice Meyers and Alta Colina. I’d add a stop at Hug if you were at McPrice Meyers. I’d also add Jack Creek Cellars to the list.

This thread inspired me to try the '11 Ridge “Paso Robles” Zinfandel last night (from the famed and historic Benito Dusi Vineyard). Really excellent.

And don’t miss Villa Creek.

We did stop at Dover Canyon. Didn’t taste any hits. Nice doggy though. YMMV

They are in same neighborhood as Turlely, Linne Colado, Cyper, Zin Alley.

Hug and MM are in an industrial park off of 46 if I recall. Not bad not good though. Was a member of a Cypher for quite a while. May rejoin when they reopen Farmstand 46 later this month.

To expand your list, I will admit to always having a good time at Oso Libre. They are also a cattle ranch, and do a couple Chef Jeff burger Saturdays a month during the summer. A glass of red and a fantastic burger make a great lunch. From there you can walk to Hammersky, Brecon Estate (ex Norman, not open yet), & Poalillo (who serves pizza). You’ll pass Jada (cheese w/ tasting) & Opolo (food pairings some weekends) on your way N on Vineyard Dr. Thatcher and Whalebone are a bit further, then Halter Ranch. Left to Tablas Creek, right to Daou, one of the best views in Paso and an upscale tasting room.
Sometimes I am looking for the next great wine, and sometimes we are just enjoying the wide variety in wine and tasting experiences.

I popped the 2010 l’Aventure Sibling Friday night. I must admit to having liked this more at the winery than at home. It was the least Oaked among the offering, so came across as the more restrained. At home among my old world stuff, and it was pure candy. I can see this being a dinner party favorite but was a bit much for me.

Looks like we will be tasting @ Paix Sur Terra, Nicora if the have wine, Kinero, Onx, and if tine alta Colin’s and Rangeland. The ubderground tasting room is also on out radar as is Dover. We will be going up in July and probably August too.

Caparone is a must for me, love their Sangiovese and incredible QPR.
I have always liked Starr Ranch, cool place to visit and some good wines.

You will probably like Dubost, too then! Their ranch truck is featured on the hot new culinary offering The New Wine Country Cookbook.

Definitely second votes for Ranchero, Jack Creek, and Ranger Project (by Jacob Toft, available online). Dubost’s tempranillo is also amazing. And Tablas Creek, while a larger winery, is still one of my faves.

Awwww, Mike…whatsa the matter w/ ThomasHillOrganics??? I think the name has a mighty nice ring to it!!! neener
But, yeah…VillaCreek, BistroLaurent, Artisan…they’re all very good and could do well in the Bay area.
Tom

Totally agree. I was really excited about them describing this as a feminine rendition of their terroir, but it is still too much toward the meaty estates. I won’t buy again until they find some more acid and restraint in that bottle.