PARMIGIANA *holiday*

Here comes an iconic Italian dish by Ben Tish and I make this classic every time we are on holiday, as the quality of the aubergines in Italy is such good and even breathtaking in Sicily. Also the Burrata, Mozarella di bufalo and Parmesan is such impressive and cheap, time to make a rich version of Parmigiana. In Berlin I make it a bit lighter, similar to a great light version in Venice this spring. Anyway, here we have the original version by Mr.Tish. Delicious and best on day 2 or even day 3.

Note: Tish serves it with a cheesy cream sauce, but this is clearly too much for me
200ml of double cream, 70g of Parmesan finely grated and salt&pepper

Ingredients

2kg aubergines/eggplants, ends trimmed

4 burrata, weighing 120g each or 500g Mozarella

4-5 tins tomatoes, each 400g

200g Parmesan, finely grated

1 bunch of basil, leaves picked

250g of dry white breadcrumbs
extra virgin olive oil, for cooking and drizzling

salt&pepper

Preparation

1. Put the tomatoes in a saucepan and cook for 30-45min on low heat. Add optional garlic

2. Slice the aubergines lengthwise into 2cm-thick strips. Deep-fry until golden and put on kitchen paper

3. Preheat an oven by 180 C or 360 F. Rub the sides and base of an ovenproof dish with olive oil and layer the bottom with aubergine slices, then a sprinkle of breadcrumbs and a few basil leaves, followed by a ladle of tomato sauce, a burrata or Mozarella ripped into pieces and a handful of Parmesan

4. Ensure everything is evenly spread and then continue to layer up this way until you finish with a layer of aubergine. Be sure to save breadcrumbs, tomato sauce and Parmesan to sprinkle over at the end. Cook for 40min in the oven.

5. Let it rest 15-30min before serving, better not to serve hot.

5 Likes

view from the garden

3 Likes