Parker Napa Review in October-Predictions ?

It would appear that now the door is closing for some '12 Napa wines.
In persusing my high scoring guesses at least one winery now only allows a 6 pack mixed purchase of their 6 cuvees . Previously one could pick & choose . [wow.gif] [swoon.gif]

8 100’s and 14 more barrel scores that have 100 as the high range.

Hey Jody- I’ve had the 05 Roberta’s and 06 Grand Vin and both were very good wines (94ish) but they do not reach the levels of the 07, 08 and on. I tasted the 07 and 08 with Lou and gave them 100 points and have only had the 08 at home since then. Gave it 100 points in 2011 and 98 in 2013. The wines need 8-10 hours of slow ox followed by a 1-2 hour decant to show their absolute best. It can be a bit like catching lighting in a bottle at times. I might even like the Roberta’s more then the GV and am overdue and will open one soon.

I really like what Denis is doing at Kapcsandy and Blankiet. My guess is these wines get 98-100 points which won’t help pricing. In general and a bit of a generalization in style I’d say his wines have more textural finesse and balance then those from Helen. I also believe Lou and his son have a heavy hand in the wines now and have a great feel for what they are getting from the estate. Let me know if your ever in Tampa and we’ll open some for sure.

Cheers
Fred

On line Parker October Review will be out at 12 noon EST today !!

DELAYED UNTIL 1 PM

Fred/Kyle,
Thanks for the input. Surprisingly, I didn’t find the '05 GV particularly Helenistic. They were just sort of one dimensional, and given Helen’s reputation and Parker’s enthusiasm, they were very restrained bordering on insipid. I also bought the '05 Blankiet based on Parker’s effusive reviews, and found it too to be similar to the GV, if not more shut down.

Sounds like I need to revisit both estates with Denis at the helm. I have to admit, the Google Earth view of Kapcsandy’s vineyard is pretty cool. You’ve got to give Helen credit for that.

Fred - will definitely let you know when I’m in Tampa. A trip to Bern’s is on my bucket list so I’ll get there one of these days!

So much for noon …

SEE ABOVE !! neener

And the whining will start about 1:01.

Monster Issue 215 posts Friday at 4 PM EDT
10/29/2014

A truly special treat for Subscribers this Halloween, Issue 215 over-delivers with a whopping 5000+ new reviews including:

California: Napa’s Cup Runneth Over:
Robert Parker delivers another whopper of a report offering a very generous pour of detailed notes on “must buy” wines from Napa. Comprehensively covering Napa’s two most recent and exceptional vintages, 2012 & 2013, with a few older vintages for later releasing labels, this annual report continues to be THE buyer’s guide for anyone who loves wines from this hallowed piece of California turf.

Website says it’ll go up at 4pm … no?

SEE ABOVE !! [snort.gif] neener [snort.gif]

It’s scheduled for 4. And I can promise you, from my perspective there is not going to be a single “must buy” wine in the CA report. Or a “might buy.” Or a “might think about buying.”

I will admit to at least some morbid curiosity to see how RP’s numbers match up with AG’s numbers when he reports on Napa next. Also, I am finally getting to a point where I trust my palate a bit more, and can read reviews with a bit more of a discerning eye - so I am interested to see if I line up more with RP, with AG, or neither.

Three years for me since a 100 pointer…

I’m just hoping there are a few "ALREADY BOUGHT " wines at the top of the list !!! champagne.gif [wow.gif] [wow.gif]

And that was…?

Opened a 2007 Larkmead Solari for one of our Halloween wines. I’m wondering how 12 will compare to 07 5 years from now. For me 07 is quickly falling behind other vintages.

For those playing along at home, it’s 4:09pm and no report yet.

This board’s schizophrenic relationship with Parker is enormously amusing

4pm EST has passed. Nothing yet.

PS- I predict Bevan gets at least 2 perfect scores.

If Kapcsandy doesn’t , I’ll eat my Yarmulke !!!