Palmer 1990

Started with a Jaboulet Crozes Hermitage 1978. Good fill , color seemed good. Sadly DOA.
Returned to cellar for the Palmer. As I started decanting, the aromas exploded. Raspberries, lavender, a touch of mint, leather and smoke. Utterly brilliant.

Seamless on the palate, and early stages of maturity. Drinking beautifully. It finished well, perhaps given the above, I was expecting a little more length, but that is being overly picky. 98+

Too bad about the Jaboulet. We found the 78 Crozes on a restaurant list just outside of Lyon last year. It was spectacular.

I have another bottle; maybe it was just a bad one.

We had one of those 78 PJA “Les Cedres” CNDPs a year or two ago. I think it was an estate recork release. I too thought it was dead, but others on the table seemed to really like it.

Sounds like a nice Palmer

1990 Palmer has always been under-rated relative to the 1989

Agreed. The 1989 is more linear and less interesting, and also I have had a lot of corked bottles. However, this is the first time I have put it (the 1990) on the same level as the magical 1983.

We had the 1990 Palmer a few years ago, as 1990 is our wedding anniversary year. What a great wine. Wish I had a few more bottles lying sideways!

Ed