Pairings needed: Tapestries & GC Burgundy

Need some help from the community in an area I’ve recently taken a relatively deep into: tapestries. Kinda weird I guess but I’ve really taken to surviving works from the Gobelins manufactory…I love the detail, craftsmanship, scale and the fact the most tapestries remind me that life has always been pretty much a brutal, godless existence. Pain and suffering abound! To that end, I figure there has to be a good number of members on the board who are expert in all things tapestry and could recommend the perfect (not interested in decent or good or great) grand cru burgundy pairings to go with these majestic works of art. Ideally would like to see the specific work of art matched to the wine, otherwise I’m prone to make wild assumptions and that benefits no one. Thanks in advance and if you haven’t tried the whole tapestry thing yet, give it a whirl. It’s a wonderful thing.

Edit: Thanks to some quick direct messages, I realize I’m ignoring the intersection of fine dining, wine and tapestries. If people could share restaurants that allow or encourage Bring Your Own Tapestry (BYOT) and the associated “corkage fee” for the tapestry (and limit on number of tapestries) that would be exquisite.

1 Like

I recommend Batard Montrachet to go with A Miraculous Draught of Fishes, but beware of premox.

2 Likes

Musigny = silk
Romanee-Saint-Vivant = Velvet

2 Likes

This response differs from expectation but I love it all the more for it. You have provided a delightful amount of edges and negative space for my mind to wonder and ponder. Thank you.

1 Like

I would have to think Bonnes Mares, for the complexity of the images versus the textural nature of the material.

2 Likes

My local aquarium allows for “tapping”. $15 tapping fee for every tapestry measuring 16 sq. feet, or less. $30 tapping fee for every tapestry measuring greater than 16 sq. feet, but no more than $100 sq. feet. Tapping fees for tapestries measured in round feet vary based on the silk source, and day of the week. Not so sure about tapestry limit — may have to send carrier pigeon with said inquiry. No restaurant, per se, at the aquarium, but picnic baskets are allowed, and there are two vending machines available with fine snack options.

2 Likes

I’d need to drink a hell of a lot of Burgundy if I had to eat a tapestry. How is it being prepared, as the sauce may influence my wine choice.

Finally someone who cuts to the heart of the matter. I don’t suppose there is necessarily a right answer although there are obviously a wide ranging number of wrong ones. I won’t pretend to know exactly what sauce tickles thy own fancy but let throw out this balloon for you to pop as you will: You have recently participated in some high brow art theft and now are the proud owner of the Unicorn in Captivity. To celebrate your heist, you decide to enjoy it made it in the style of a traditional Flemish Rabbit meal, (topped with a cognac based sauce). Ignoring the raised eyebrows of your fellow patrons (who are scum and don’t deserve to be in the same room as you let alone consume YOUR OXYGEN), you command your faithful wine servant Chappy to unsheath his Durand and open [fill in blank of GC Burgundy].

First statues, now this? Could this be Related? Van Gogh and Hals Theft Arrest - Bayeux Tapestry Loan - $55m Picasso

I’d pop some champagne, but thats just me.

I stand in awe of Alan Dubs. While I’m thinking on it, he’s running roughshod through security and taking what’s owed.