Pairing with corned beef and cabbage; no beer in the fridge

My instincts told me Bojo wouldn’t be so great – particularly not cru Bojo. Maybe Dubeouf …

2007 Chateau Musar Blanc did the trick. Thanks Noah, took your advice on my advice and skipped the bojo.

Carrie buys Corned Beef rounds and cooks them in our slow cooker. Much leaner than brisket. NO cabbage. Carrots and potatoes. Syrah/Shiraz and many Rhone wines pair very well. The Rhones and cold climate Syrahs are best when I’m using a sweet mustard, while most Shiraz and many Syrahs go well with regular mustard.

I don’t understand the hangup about cabbage. It’s a vegetable side dish, and a fairly mild tasting one at that.

If you’re having a ribeye with a side of asparagus or brussel sprouts, do you expect the wine to be a correct pairing with asparagus or brussel sprouts one a pure one to one basis? Of course not, and it doesn’t end up a problem. You just match the wine to the ribeye.

Chris, I suspect the hangup with cabbage stems in part from when it’s been severely overcooked.

As for wine last night, we opened up a pair of 2012 Carlisle Syrah (Papa’s & Sierra Mar) – both were killer with the corned beef.

In which case any natural wine with no sulfur added will be perfect – the skunky, cabbage aromas will match perfectly. [stirthepothal.gif]

Recent tradition dictates an October Sunday family dinner under the cupola at Bofinger. Last year, we drank NV Taittinger Champagne Cuvee Speciale and Schlumberger Riesling Saering with our choucroute. Both matched well and I assume that any wine that can be happily consumed with sauerkraut, salted pork, and sausages should go well with corned beef and cabbage.

An Irish red ale, an Irish dry stout
And finished up with 12 yr Redbreast cask strength that was just delicious.

Went with gruner veltliner (see separate thread); went well.

Cheers,
Doug

What did you end up drinking? I’d try a Gruner Veltliner or Champagne.