Pairing with corned beef and cabbage; no beer in the fridge

I went with a 2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett. A decent pairing, but I thought it could have used more acidity. Looking at CT, that’s a minority opinion.

I personally love corned beef and cabbage once a year, and corned beef sandwiches on NY rye more often that that (can’t get NY rye in Bellingham). Our brisket was purchased from and brined by Carne, a local high end butcher. It was really good.

Cheers,
Warren

Reviving this one. Time again.

Crazy maybe but I am thinking a beaujolais with some spice.

[beatoff.gif] Nah, try some Knappogue Castle whiskey. 12 year is fine. It will obliterate the flavors of the corned beef and cabbage (which is the best possible outcome in my book. I also had an Irish Mother-in-law.) It also makes for a fine finish to the day if you started at 8AM with green eggs and ham along with a Guinness.

Only downside is tomorrow morning you will feel like a dozen barefoot leprechauns danced in your mouth.

Excuse me, I am late for the pub…

I would approach this with a theory – avoid tannins, seek fruit.

Moist meats often don’t do so well with tannins or extracted wines. But I guess no one was suggesting cab or syrah, were they?

Where does that lead me? To German riesling, for sure, but I’d want a little sweetness – a QbA or Kabinett, or a Feinherb. An Alsatian riesling would probably work, too, since even the fully dry ones usually have a lot of body. A German Spatlese would probably work but might distract.

I could see a California chardonnay working, too, since they can have a richness that approximates sweetness.

Among reds, I like Greg’s idea of mencia, because that can be fruity and low in acid. The New World pinot suggestions sounded good, too, for the same reason.

Alsatian whites seem to do the trick matching the saltiness but I tend to agree that the cabbage is a tough match for anything.

The whites suggested all sound good. For red what about Beaujolais?

Well… neener

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2237071#p2237071

But yeah, to reiterate, imo a lush CA Syrah is pretty awesome w/corned beef. Allemand? Probably not so much.

I love corned beef. Am okay with cabbage but also tend to go in the choucroute direction when i braise it and add juniper etc.

Goes great with well-aged Riesling, and have had success with less-fruity Pinot. If it’s strong and you want to just go flavor-assault mode, you could always just face-smack it with Zinfandel or even double-suplex-off-the-corner-post with Petite Sirah

Yes. I’d eschew oak as well.

We’re going dry riesling tonight; Corned beef, colcannon (mashed potatoes & cabbage), and there’s a cooked apple dish of some sort.

If red; Beaujolais Villages (simple, fruit forward) or something like Turley Juveniles might work. But I think we’re staying riesling and BEER!

Gruner

Big ass Cali zin.

Young and fruity!

We are making four beefs:

We are making: 1) Sous vide wagyu corned beef 2) Sous vide regular corned beef 3) Crock pot regular corned beef 4) Instant Pot pressure cooked wagyu corned beef.

Gonna make potatoes separately. I Googled “Irish potato recipe.” The ingredients were potatoes, butter, salt, parsley. I don’t know why that struck me as humorous.

For you stout hearted souls whose delicate culinary sensibilities aren’t driven to ruin by corned beef, I wish you happy eating!

For cabbage, we wedge it, put butter up top, then 325 in the oven for a while.

Any mineral-y white. Gruner Veltliner and Sauvignon Blanc immediately came to my mind.

Mmmmmmm, that’s nice, too!!! :slight_smile:

Did the challenge. Feinherb riesling was best pairing. Bojo was a failure. Champagne decent.
00387AF2-7D7B-4623-B1DC-CB52CA94E78D.jpeg

Noah, that is some fine empirical work!

I am all about hypothesis testing

Harp and Guiness this year.

Cheers,
Warren

In Noah’s honor, we snuck a hunk from the slow cooker and paired with a 2000 Williams Selyem Heinz Vineyard chard.

Tasted the wine first after a little air time. Lots of stone fruit without sweet components. Butterscotch was pointed out by my wife. Faint lactic acid notes. Long front palate to soft palate finish.

With the meat. The umami components of each match. The wine is acidic enough to stand up to the fat in the meat. The finish survives through a small bite of the beef.

We are pleased.

Thank you to Noah!

Along John’s fruit no tannins vibe, I suggest Blanfrankisch.

Noah and Anton, thank you for reporting back. [cheers.gif]