Pairing? Veal Lasagna with White Sauce

I haven’t decided on final seasoning, but I’m tentatively planning classic Bechamel flavors.
I am open to all ideas.

Think I’d be looking at Terlan Vorberg or Antinori Cervaro.

2 Likes

Anything else in the lasagna? Or an accompaniment!? Mushrooms? What cheese?

Veal, Bechamel and pasta seems a bit monotone flavour wise as well as colour.

Subject the answers on other components I was thinking something like
Gini Contrada Salvarenza Soave Classico

1 Like

As with almost anything, Champagne is the best answer. A vintage Krug with more than 10 years would be nice.

Nothing wrong with aged white Burgundy.

Or Valentini Trebbiano or Cerasuolo.

Or aged Bandol rose.

Or a rich mountain wine like Chignin-Bergeron.

A good Vernaccia or Lugana would probably be nice too.

I would consider Meursault, but probably not from perrieres, maybe Meursault charmes or genevieres with a little age from a vintage like 2012 or 2013.

I assume you are doing the classic Bolognese and bachamel with just a touch of nutmeg in it? I’d do a lighter Nebbiolo like AR.PE.PE. Think that would highlight the baking spices in the bechamel and the veal Bolognese.

sorry for the delayed response.
I’ll probably do twice-cooked mushrooms and garlic confit. The cheese selection will match the wine I choose.
btw, the monochromatic is intentional, but I might decide to add fresh herbs.
I was also thinking white Burg, but was fishing for other ideas, especially Italian white (weakest part of my cellar).

I was thinking Valtellina or Rossese di Dolceacqua for a red.

Also a good Pinot Bianco from Alto Adige wouldn’t be shabby.

2 Likes

If I were going to do Italian white, I would either do a Grillo or Etna white like Graci Arcuria or the Benanti Superiore

White burg would be classic with the bechamel of course (light oak is good here I think) but other good suggestions. Mushrooms will elevate the dish, and steer me further to (younger) Burg. What herbs? In the sauce (tarragon?) or with the mushrooms (thyme?)

Edited to add younger.

I think you need acidity, but some, but not too much richness, but also, I think not too much minerality, so I wouldn’t go with Chablis or MP.

I’d drink Grüner Veltliner - or Grauburgunder (Pinot gris) from Styria, both with a bit of age.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly! Marco Ferrari also makes a good version but undoubtedly hard to find.