Pairing for savory rhubarb dish?

Hi everyone,

It’s rhubarb season here in the NorthEast. Recently, I’ve enjoyed incorporating rhubarb into main dishes as well as dessert. Chicken and sausages both work really well with rhubarb, but I’ve had a tough time finding a wine that works well. The challenge is finding something that works with the rich roasty flavors of the meat as well as the tart acidic rhubarb.

Any recs? I’d love your thoughts about both whites and reds if you’ve got them.

Thanks so much and I’ll report back if I find a good pairing!

Noah

The first thing that came to mind is Cinsault, served slightly chilled. It sometimes has rhubarb flavors.

2 Likes

Realize you’re talking about savory courses, but Selosse’s Exquise was originally developed to match with a comparatively tart rhubarb dessert FWIW…

5 Likes

I don’t know how it would match in reality but I’d be curious to try a Baden spätburgunders can have a rhubarb note, it has the acidity and In a warmer vintage (2018 for example) you have more weight as well some darker fruit/berry notes.

1 Like

Even though one probably doesn’t readily sense them in most things made with rhubarb, it does have tannins and they could clash with many reds. Like with most things, an excellent choice would be Champagne, as @William_Kelley has noted. I could also see a riesling with some sugar working especially if cooking with chicken and sausage. Maybe even a chenin with a touch of sugar. Or, even a brachetto if you want something to just guzzle and quench.

1 Like

somethin’ like one of these?

https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1368691

1 Like

I’ve encountered savory rhubarb on the plate a couple of times this spring. I think it’s still best when it’s a bit pickled and sweetened. I would imagine a Riesling or an off-dry sake would match well.

1 Like

I would try Lambrusco with some sweetness. I think the rhubarb will obliterate any dry wine.

I like the Riesling, Champagne, & Lambrusco suggestions…and think they will all work. I would be tempted to also try Moscato d’Asti (Vietti is about $24/bottle) I think Sauternes could possibly be an interesting pairing. I’ve had some wonderful savory pairings with Sauternes.

1 Like

This is what came to my mind as well, especially with the OP noting the tart note in the food (rather than the savory notes) as being among the problematic aspects for wine pairing. Where tart often ruins reds for me, it goes very well with a spätlese or something along those lines.

1 Like

Thanks for the recs everyone. Here’s what I did:
Night 1- Salmon with rhubarb: 2010 Billecart Salmon Rosé. I was into the Champagne recommendation, and although the wine doesn’t really have any rhubarb notes, I thought this might have some strawberry notes. And strawberries and rhubarb are a classic combo. The wine itself was good, not spectacular, but I thought the pairing was fabulous.

Night 2- Roasted Chicken thighs with rhubarb: 2022 Six Cloves Linda Vista Chardonnay- I also liked the Riesling recs here, but my partner does not like Riesling (so she says). I remembered that this wine has a touch of residual sugar, and I’ve got to say that this worked perfectly with the chicken.

2 Likes

Wow!! Roasted Chicken thighs with rhubarb & Linda Vista Chard :heart_eyes: I should give it try soon :raised_hands:

Go for it- the bit of sweetness worked perfectly!

1 Like