Pairing challenge - red wine with jamon serrano

Almost anything with allot of acid and fruit and not much tannin i.e. Beaujolais, young fruity Zinfandel, no wood Barbara or Valpolicella but not Ripasso.

I’ve been eating Jamon for as far as I can remember as it is pretty much a staple in many occasions at home when I was growing up. Perhaps it’s because we’ve gotten used to it, but I can’t recall when a red wine was a bad pairing, but one thing I know when I was younger was that our reds were mostly the young Spanish ones. They were generally fruity and so I would suggest trying a Rioja, perhaps go for the Joven. After all, in Spain they drink all kinds of reds (and whites) with these.

I know the OP asked for reds, but this pairing just screams out for sherry!

There is a ton of salt in jamon. I have to curb my consumption for this reason. I’ve had similar experiences. It brings out this metallic taste to red burgundy. I’ve found that jamon pairs better with white wine or nothing at all.

Jura/Savoie red, good unoaked Mencía, Pelaverga, Lambrusco (red, dry), Sancerre red.

Thanks, all. Interesting thoughts.

Re “everything goes with it, what’s your deal?” - I dunno. We eat a decent amount of charcuterie, and I’ve never noticed this problem before with various salume, pate, mousse, bacon, sausages, cheeses, etc. At least not like this, where there’s a clash with so many different reds, all in a row.

Re wines other than a dry red - the real issue is that I’m just having a slice or two of the ham alongside the real dinner, to enjoy the excess supply. So I’m not opening a wine to pair with the ham, I’m opening a wine to pair with dinner (which is always a dry red at my place) and just noticing that the ham seems to kill all of them.

I did locate a “California” desginated pinot in the queue (which was, I think, a gift, otherwise see my previous posts on the topic) so maybe I’ll try that tonight. After that, probably Bojo.

Perhaps it’s just one of those idiosyncratic reactions as Fred and Doug discuss, be it salt or some unique combination of salt and Spanish hogs. Either way, the jamon is dee-licious on its own!

Agree with this.

Champagne (or Cava) is the best. :slight_smile:

Unoaked and Fruity and low tannin best options for red, IMO.

+1
I second the recommendation for Rosé Champagne. I drink it with jamon serrano all the time.

Interesting—I would like to try that combo!

For me, sherry would be the best. Throw in some marcona almonds and Spanish marinated olives … unbeatable.

Another vote for sherry. It’s transcendent with jamon iberico, which is typically less salty than jamon serrano, but it’s worth a shot.

Take a bite of jamon and let the fat warm up in your mouth. Sip some sherry & chew some more. Heaven!

Absolutely. But also Madeira or a good sweet wine from the Loire or Germany.

Dave - have you taken any medicine/vitamins? Sometimes that screws with your taste. I had some medicine a couple of months ago and for a week everything tasted metallic.

Rosato of Negroamaro - light sweetness and mild tannins that blend with the salt and fat of the ham. Antinori makes one in the Tomaresca line up that works well.

+N.

And IME sherry tends to keep pretty well open for a few nights in the fridge, so one bottle will last you several dinners.

He did say the wine tastes fine after he heats something other than the jamon, so this isn’t it. He’s sensitive to a terrible food and wine reaction that many people get, which is what I was saying in my previous comment. Most people here and elsewhere will continue to assume that because something tastes okay to them it tastes that way for everyone, which is obviously not the case. I don’t know the chemistry behind this but certain very umami-rich foods like tuna and ham make all dry red wines taste metallic, bitter, and generally terrible to a lot of people. It happens to me with all seafood as well as certain other things. This is not going to magically change when the OP tastes the dry red wine that one specific person likes with this type of food. I do understand that he was asking for pairing suggestions, but I’ll say right now that no dry red will work.

I’d try Cava or a Babera…perhaps even a Barolo Chinato?

It’s striking me as most likely that it’s this, except I’ve never noticed it being this “across the board” with any other food, including tuna (though I don’t eat a lot of tuna). Last night’s pinot suffered a bit less than the others.

Re the medication question, can I get a prescription for Barolo Chinato and its medicinal properties? Is Dr. Nebbiolo in the house? I’m sure that would cure what ails me! [cheers.gif]

Everyone knows that a wine that they like may not be liked by everyone. We’re all different and genes have a lot to do with what we’re tasting. My salty may not be the same as yours and so on.

And the combinations of things we eat work differently for all of us. So a medication plus ham plus wine might taste worse than just two of them, or one alone, which is why I asked.

Another question is why now? Seems like it’s a recent thing, since the new year.

Doctor’s order! :wink:

Add me to the camp that jamon and most charcuterie kills the taste of red wine. We do a cheese and charcuterie dinner a couple times a month and for me rose champagne and lambrusco work best.