Pairing Burgundy with Rib Eye

Stephane facconiers was too ripe. A crowd pleaser albeit a bit monodimensional with just enough aromatics to let you know this was a burgundy. At 50 bucks was fine, but a bit too ripe for me or what I wished to bring.

The faiveley mazi was a step ahead. Was open and drinking well (has been decanted for a few hours FWIW). While this wine had more aromatics and was more balanced, I felt this was also too ripe and fruit a little too bright ( and a 2011 so maybe I don’t like mazi?). Still a 93-94 wine, but I didn’t absolutely love it for my palette.

These were not the best burgs for the rib eye. But the crowd was not into wine due to extenuating circumstances. So the somm got a lot of extra he was happy with.

The white was pretty good. 2013 Joseph Drouhin Puligny Montrachet les Folatieres. I don’t drink much of whites, but no allergic reaction to this one. Refreshing while still having unctuous creamy fruit. A crowd pleaser for sure.

Good to know I am not the only ‘heretic’ that occasionally drinks Burgundy with ribeye. A youngish Nuit st George (from a vineyard closer to the southern part of the appellation ) is usually my go to.