Pairing Burgundy with Rib Eye

Ribeye - Tuscan Steak with Brunello would be my vote…considering that Cabernet and Nebbiolo have been ruled out.

Merchant #1 Burgundy suggestions (this was after warning to not show any 04s, and they don’t have older stock like a Benchmark):
2008 Domaine Gerard Raphet Chambertin Clos de Beze
2009 Robert Arnoux Clos de Vougeot
2011 Domaine Hubert Lignier Charmes Chambertin
2011 Bouchard Pere et Fils Chambertin Clos de Beze Grand Cru

Second choice would be a Nuits St. Georges Les Vaucrains from Chevillon. With a little effort you can probably find the '08 for less than a $100 per.

If the ask price on that Clos de Vougeot is in your range, I’d probably do that.

1 Like

I’d buy the Arnoux.

Agree on arnoux

I won’t buy2011 reds unless I taste them first, the arnoux should be good but if it is similar $$ I’d take the 08 beze. I prefer the freshness of 08s

Granted this was way down the ladder from Clos de Beze, but the 2008 Raphet village Gevry that I’ve had all had a very snappy acidity to them.

I presented four options to the host,
(i) 2011 Faiveley Beze + 2008 Serfarin Gevrey VV
(ii) 2012 Faiveley Cortons + 2009 Arnoux Clos de Vougeot
(iii) 2009 Arnoux Clos de Vougot + 2012 Arnoux NSG Pagets
(iv) 2012 Faiveley Corton + 2008 Serafin Gevrey VV
(v) 2011 Faiveley Beze + 2015 Stephane Mangien Facconiers

They went with (v).

In my reading, Faiveley was less impacted in 2011, and this was corroborated with the CT notes, especially on the 2011 Beze. The Beze does not have any recent notes, however, so there is risk it is closed down. Will know Tuesday…

These steaks better turn out good after all your work…[wink.gif]

2 or 3 are the best options. I’d stop hanging around the host.

This. Or some Hermitage. I’m sure you’ll have a great dinner and enjoy the wine!

Same here.

Host is paying :slight_smile:
Notes on the Faiveley 11 Beze sound pretty good - what’s the concern here? Vintage or too young for a Beze versus a Corton?

Not as good of wines.

The idea for that option was to offer a more expensive geography (e.g. Beze, and paid got the Faiveley for ‘only’ ~$210) paired with a more affordable “village level” accessible to the guests generally (in this case, Facconieres for $55/bottle).

2011 will give you some nice vegetal notes to go with your meat and potatoes, for sure. You can probably skip the salad course.

Did the vegetable notes in the 2011s only come later, or would they be apparent by 2013? (CT has a lot of positive notes in 2014, and I think I read it somewhere here on WB that Faiveley’s 2011s weren’t impacted with the vegetables and could be hidden value, especially given the change of producer style which was largely implemented by 2011)?

Only way is to taste. Faiveley’s Beze figures to have avoided most of 11’s issues, being such a warm site (and warmer than Chambertin), but it’s become such an unsexy vintage for geeks and collectors that hardly anyone is taking an interest to continue to taste and follow the wines.