Ouch. Premoxed 2011 V. Dauvissat La Forest

Will be having a 2005 Forest in 2 weeks time - will report back. Impeccable provenance.

I ran through a 2011 Vaillons last week and it was fine but would like more development. I pulled the trigger on a few 2017s as a result. Summer risotto on the menu for tonight. White Burgundy will be opened. Rhys/Alesia will be the backup :slight_smile:.

fred

I have to agree on the 7 year sweet spot. Have yet to have one premox on me at least from Dauvissat but have had problems with other 2011 and 2010 from various purveyors.

Opened another 2011 La forest that was premoxed. That’s 3 in a row for me. Not as bad as the last bottle and I guess you could maybe drink it but it wouldn’t be fun. I think I must have gotten a bad case from Crush/K&L as the track record for 2012 has been horrendous.

Opened a 2010 Forest as a make up wine and it is in a great spot. Pretty much perfect actually

Except that Einstein did not say that and it’s a nonsensical definition of insanity. neener

Have had two 375ml Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne 2010s recently. Both premoxed.

FWIW, I decided a long time ago (this premox issue has been going on for a long time now), to drink my WB as I would have “before”. I have no regrets, as drinking them early, to me, misses out on the reward. So, if it’s good, I missed the reward (for aging). If it’s premoxed…I missed any reward. I’d rather have a chance for that reward. As the song goes: “anticipation”.

For me, Dauvissat’s sweet spot is from 12-15 years. So, 7 (or under 10) misses that. I remain astonished that this plague keeps going.

I also remain more or less convinced that the rigidity/ability to make a good seal is the cause of the problem, which is, like the rigidity of the corks, variable.

Still haven’t heard any better explanation. And, that I haven’t, makes me more convinced that it is something obvious and simple.

Dauvissat has, for the most part, been ok, I think. And, Carillon seemed almost exempt from it, for some reason.

Carillon is not exempt from premox at all.

I stopped buying with the 2006 vintage. So, no clue since then.

Stuart–i used to think Dauvissat fairly exempt, but no longer. You are in for some disappointments with 2008, 2009, 2011. 2007 is a joy, but there will be some premoxed bottles as well. (Of course you stopped buying–too bad then you missed 2007, which for my money is the best chablis vintage in a long while.)

carried back a 96 BBM from France long ago. Shot. Agreed.

bought 01 BBM a couple years after release, opened it 5-6 years ago - poxed. 98 around the same time, poxed. 08 purchased on release, varying level of advanced within 5-7 years of vintage date.

Sigh.

2010 Francis Carillon PM Referts opened recently was badly premoxed.
Haven’t had any of the older Carillons since I was burned by expensive and hard to find 1996 Carillon BBM’s being badly premoxed and I said “Enough!”

Bottle tried yesterday - it was a bit darker than expected, but not real premox notes. More honeyed and tropical notes to my palate. Wine was good, not great, although it accompanied perfectly a sashimi with a light tropical vinaigrette.

2005 was a ripe atypical chablis year. Most of the wines tasted more of ripe white burg to me than chablis.

Actually, John, I stopped buying wine after the 2006 vintage. The ONLY wine I did buy after was 2007-2009 or 2010 direct from the Dauvissat domaine. I couldn’t quite give up his wines, but somehow got them shipped to the US and to me. And, some reds, too…To my thinking (and acting, I guess) Vincent Dauvissat made/makes the best white wines in the world.

I have many candidates in Burgundy and Alsace (including Albert Boxler , which in #2 on my “best” white wine list).

Tonight a 2011 Forest was entirely free of premox and very pleasant if a little green and lacking some roundness of fruit. A 2010 opened last weekend was similarly unafflicted but in a different league, much more complete and with great balance and length.

I have had relatively good luck with Dauvissat and the pox, but, to echo others here, it’s ceasing to be an attractive buying proposition given price increases, which is a shame.

Had a 2011 Forest tonight that was great. Good to put a run of a couple of good bottles together after a terrible experience with 2011s.

good to hear. I had a 2012 Forest recently that was just fine. I actually haven’t had much of my stash of ‘younger’ wines (2012 or younger) to know if there are problems with them. Most of my trouble has been 2008-2011 so far with 08 and 11 being the most problematic.

Drunk 54 Bottles of Dauvissat in the last 14 months. Not 1 proxed.