Osteria, Trattoria, Enoteca wine bar recs in ROME?

I have an overnight in Rome later this month, and it would be great to have a fabulous Roman meal while I’m there. I have a few recs from my Osterie d’Italia guidebook, but looking for other recs. It need not be a white linen ristorante, I’m perfectly happy with a well run Osteria or Trattoria. Wine bar recs are a plus!

Thanks in advance
Michael

Have you checked the recent extensive discussions??

Here is one
(Two months in Roma - #81 by Maire_ONeill)

2 Likes

Thanks Barry! No, I should have quickly checked, and I did find this detailed review from a year ago.

Rimessa Roscioli looks fabulous, and we’ll also consider Pipero that looks fascinating.

Cheers
Michael

Many years ago we went to Felice A Testacio looking for a great cacio e pepe (was recommended by the NYT). It did not disappoint.

1 Like

Take a look at Puleo. We had a terrific meal there. I preferred their menu over Pipero. Very good btg list as well though not broad some good choices.

Rimessa Roscioli is an excellent choice unless you get lucky and can get into Roscoli their main restaurant. We also had another terrific meal there. Cul De Sac is a nice Enoteca and casual trattoria menu as well.

I actually think the food is more consistent at Armando Al Pantheon (specially entrees) than Roschioli. At the latter, stick to charcuterie, cheese and pasta.

Armando wine list may not be as deep, but Pepe at good prices.

But I do love Roscioli’s pasta.

Love Armando’s and the food is terrific. It’s just gotten very hard to get a reservation. I tried for 2 months before our trip and never saw any availability. Agree with you as well on what to order at Roscioli.

I think it’s 60 days in advance on line and you have to be in line the first day it’s available. Roscioli is much further in advance.

Just returned from Rome last Thursday. While on this trip, which started in Barolo the week before we had some of the best meals in Italy. One was no surprise and just keeps getting better, Da Francesco. We actually ate there 3 out of 5 nights. So great.
One which disappointed a bit is Felice a Testaccio who seems to like to mention Michelin a lot but does not live up to a quarter of a star. Food, while good was not memorable.
If you are in Rome 1 night, I wholehearteldly recommend Da Fracensco.
Shown is a broad bean puree and chicory dish and a steak tartare that just astounded me in its simplicity and ability to please.

1 Like

Mike- how is their wine list ? I looked online and saw that it seemed like it was mostly big names with what looked more like US prices than what I have normally seen from other restaurants throughout Italy.

The food looks great. We ended up doing Trattoria da Cesare for our final night since it was much closer to the airport. It was fine but nothing special or that I would go out of my way for.

Fred, we had for our 3 visits:
2020 Oddero Barbaresco Gallina-$95
2021 Cavalotto Barbera d’Alba Vigna Cuculo -$45
2016 Produtorri Barbaresco Riserva
Don Fiorino -$160

Since 2014 the list has certainly boosted upward but there are options. Years ago there was an assortment of half bottles that were reasonably priced but since the storefront across became available for their cellar, the wine game has been upped. The list is big and there are some values like Cannanau etc.

Thanks Mike, I noticed the first 2 you mentioned when I looked. Will make it there on another trip. The menu looks terrific.

Thanks for this, Mike - looks awesome and is now on my list for new places to try next time. I have Taverna Volpetti on my list too… It’s a growing list!