Oregon Liquor Officials Grab Pappy for Themselves

Damn, I wish I’d thought of this. Much easier than winning the Total Wine lottery!!

Alternate (better, IMO) source:

Much better article. More informational and complete. Not advertising click bait than the New York Post. Thanks.

1 Like

Oh jeez . . . lol . . . let me officially apologize to the esteemed “Beer & Spirits” board community for not doing thorough research to come up with the absolute best source to make a joke about politicians currying favors to get Pappy. I swear I’ll never do it again.

1 Like

A step on the right direction but probably way more is diverted by liquor store managers to their friends and family. I understand preference to “best customers” but related parties to store personnel is problematic.

Should/Could State liquor boards regulate this practice?

No doubt. My local place keeps a stash in the office of allocated stuff and sells them to known customers. I’m sure the manager and owners take what they want off the top also. They also bypass the lottery for certain customers on Pappy and other stuff. This is not unusual and should be an acceptable perk for working a thankless government job.

This I expect. A liquor board that regulates the industry skimming cherries off the top, not so much. That’s reminiscent of the Soviet Politburo getting all the best apartments, cars, foods, and other perks. Hell no.

im assuming this is sarcasm.

I know Gearhart shuttles all Col Taylor to local whiskey bars. Got this straight from horse’s mouth at liquor store.

1 Like

Before Ohio went strictly to lottery that was the truth here.

At one time I had a great relationship with a liquor store owner who would occasionally sell me a bottle from the stash set aside for the restaurant/bar account. That let me know the whole thing was bogus in effect, he could dispense and please as he wished.

It’s better now with lotteries…but Wouldn’t surprise me a bit if the top is still skimming.

How is this differently than any highly allocated wine? It’s exactly what every retailer does with producers like Coche, Roulot, Allemand, etc.

Liquor here is owned by the public/government. Those that hold a license are authorized to sell it, but they do not own it.

surely you see the difference between a private business allocating things they own as they see fit (however bizarre it might be) and government officials who are paid via taxpayer money doing that, especially in states where the regulators have so much power?

1 Like

Honestly, I have such low expectation that I expect government allocation to be much worse than private business. At least there you can justify rewarding your best customers.

Of it’s truly government owned and controlled (I thought the only state where that is true is PA), then I guess every allocated product should be lottery. Sounds messy.