Opening wine to let it "breathe"

I don’t think it has to do with temp; most of the time I’ll open bottles and leave them in the cellar.

I do the same, but the process seems expedited if it is room temperature to me.

I don’t think there’s widespread support for that view here.

Here’s Alan’s original thread:

Putting a stake in the heart of “slow ox”

For slow oxing? Almost every single wine event I’ve been to (and I’ve been to a lot) have been opened 2-6 hours before serving.

1 Like

Here’s Alan’s original 2017 thread:

Putting a stake in the heart of “slow ox”

Just pulling corks and letting wines sit? For wines less than 20 years old?

If you’ve read the posts here, you’ll see that you are in the minority in this view. Many people hold delusions dear.

I do the same as Tom.

I pour a small glass to free some surface, and to check the wines current state. If it feels open and good to go I re-cork it. If not then I let it breath in the bottle.

I had much more success with this than decanting (not that a proper decant is not required in some cases)

1 Like

Idk i think you’d recognize most of the names at the events. Pretty good cross section of the top burg drinkers on here.

1 Like

For those of you who don’t decant, can you recommend a good floss?

I do decant, usually double decant. How long before drinking depends a lot on the wine in question. I never slow ox though.

I think there are a lot of factors at play that could affect things.

1. the wine isn’t completely still, it was agitated but opening
    and will take awhile to become still; that combined with air time would expose more wine than one would think.

This would be easy to test with a relatively clear bottle and food coloring; you’d just assume there would be more diffusion than that.

1. the improvement in the wine may be not at all related to oxygen.
2 Likes

Placebos can be exceptionally effective when one expects a beneficial result.

2 Likes

As I mentioned above I’ve done this experiment blind with one bottle opened earlier and kept at cellar temp and one popped immediately before service and almost everyone preferred the bottle with air time. It’s a very easy test to do.

3 Likes

I think I might be misunderstanding this? But clearly opening a wine has an effect on it.

I mean, if I open a wine and let it just stand around for a few days it will most likely be shot or atleast very different to a bottle of the same wine that wasn’t opened?

3 Likes

This is all based on some “science” that was posted a few years ago on here to make the argument that opening bottles without decanting them doesn’t appreciably change the wine.

Sounds like great “science” :sweat_smile:

Read the threads linked earlier and let us know what you think.

1 Like

I don’t need to.

Wine reacts to air and its environment.

Wine in a bottle without a cork will be affected faster than a bottle of wine with the cork in it.

So of cause opening the wine will have an effect on it.

If the effect is enough for the taster over X amount of time is an individual judgement.

If there was no difference then I would be able to remove the cork from my bottles and let them age without a cork.

5 Likes

the owner of fairchild wine once told me wine cant breath out of a dime size opening so he opens it some time like hours in his cellar then brings it out to decant prior to serving at a appropriate temp and assuming we are referring to red only but i feel to decant and aerate is a very good process in order to appeciate the most out of the wine