Oops I Did It Again - Alfert's Breakage Thread - Join In, Post Your Best

not true - this is a weekly occurrence, you get to self-bump it with every shattered stem!

OMG the Strava reference.

Most won’t understand. Can’t stop laughing.

2 Likes

lol. I can’t help
Myself.

1 Like

The dog toy really is a nice touch.

It was the Golden. In the Mudroom. With a Toy.

1 Like

My stories (and a few other great ones) are in here: https://www.wineberserkers.com/t/what-bottle-of-wine-did-you-break-today/153434

do you think he will come up with ‘a myriad’ of pics for our entertainment?

“A plethora of”. I’m just jelly that you have “a dearth of”. You are poors like that.

Had my first casualty at the offsite this month. Just tipped it over and tried to grab it before it hit the cement, but too late. Broke just in time to slice my hand open as I went to grab. Still hurts 2 weeks later.

Oh well, at least it wasn’t a bottle that mattered - only Coche!

3 memorable broken bottles

1. Magnum of 1988 Yquem which broke in the cellar. Wonderful smell for three days, and a disaster trying to clean as shards of glass and wine was lying in in impossible areas inside a double rack.

2. A bottle of Heitz Martha’s 1976 which i bought from a restaurant in Savannah and broke in the White Plains airport coming back.

3. A bottle Harlan 1992 which I was bringing to Cafe Evergreen in Manhattan for a BYO event, when the bag broke. There was a little wine left which we poured through a coffee filter.

Honorable mention as it’s slightly off theme. A bottle of 1988 DRC Grands Echezeaux which I inexplicably managed to leave in a bag at the Tarrytown station. By the time I came back hoping to find it still there, it had of course disappeared.

I have drunk a lot of great wines over the years, forgotten a few, but the disasters will stay in my memory forever.

1 Like

Maybe not “breakage” technically, but how about the time I learned Southern California basements can in fact flood in a rare non drought year…

Ouch!!

Last week I dropped my first bottle since I started collecting. I was sorting out my wine fridge at home, as I wanted to sell some of the wines.
A bit tired maybe, a wine just dropped out of my hand for no known reason and dropped down onto my cement cellar floor breaking in a thousand pieces.

It was a La Ca’Növa Montestefano 2016, so it could have been worse, but cleaning it up was a nightmare…

My favourite one recounted by someone else, is also cycling related.

He’d bought a bottle of red wine, and was cycling back with it in his rucksack. On the way back he had a minor fall, sliding along the ground before stopping. As he gathered his senses and checked the bike was ok (cyclist’s priorities :rofl:) a number of people came rushing towards him, panic and concern written over their faces. Given the minor nature of the fall, he thought that weird… until he noticed the pool of blood-red shiraz forming on the tarmac.

1 Like

My worst breakage was a 1974 Mayacamas CS.

My wife broke a bottle of 1955 Cheval Blanc.

That last photo is truly dirty and rowdy. Couldn’t have picked a better label :joy:

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that’s the one that sliced my foot!

Does anybody know a really good lawyer around these parts? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The problem with filming, is that you can only film the aftermath! One of my greatest moments was actually Julie’s… She goes to the countertop to set a full glass of wine she lands 49% of the glass on the counter. The other 51% pulls the glass off she tries to catch it. Mayhem followed… It is amazing how much these beautifully made but very thin, glass l, wine glasses amplify a spill. We really needed David Attenborough to narrate this event and filmed in slow motion. I think he could’ve gotten a half an hour out of it. Wine hit the ceiling. I think she hit the glass three or four times before it actually fell. I think it went 10 feet in every direction All over her. It was a spectacle!

Love Jules! And I could visualize this totally!

I’ve been mostly lucky over the years, seldom dropping much, but about ten years ago, disaster struck - changing a light bulb in my cellar, I lost my balance and fell into the St.Julien rack - I did manage to catch or cushion the fall of some bottles, but a dozen or so slipped and smashed on the concrete floor. I can’t remember what I broke but there were some good bottles, of course (why couldn’t it have been the daily stuff?! Sod’s Law). The worst aspect was not losing the bottles, nor even the glass to clean up, but the appalling smell, which took weeks to clear.

2 Likes