One Country

If you could only eat food in one country for the rest of your life, what country would you choose?

Dan Kravitz

1 Like

Japan, but the Philippines would be a close second.

I also love Mexican food, but don’t think my stomach would handle it for the rest of my life.

1 Like

Well, I’d pick this country, because I can get the food of pretty much every other country here :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Portugal.

Italy, I think.

I’ve had this conversation with friends before…also, the corollary, if you could only eat one protein what would it be?

I think for me, Spain would check off a lot of boxes. Although I never really thought about it, but @Daniel_Walsh suggestion of Japan would be pretty amazing as well.

The beef, pork, and seafood in Spain are just off the charts.

1 Like

America. And it’s not even close.

Same for me.

Assuming USA is a cop out… Japan.

3 Likes

I would say Italy.

What Alan said :wine_glass:

Japan.

Edit to add, but there are so many qualifying questions. Do you have to live there? Can you go on vacation and still eat, or do you need to bring provisions? Is food made in Japan instantly available in France if I’m there?

1 Like

Either Korea or Italy.

Italy. Next choice would probably be China, particularly Cantonese.

Japan 100%
What are the chances someone says the UK and actually means it?

1 Like

Sorry to be so late to reply to my own thread.

I purposely made this vague, not adding any qualifiers, hoping that people would both venture out and explain their reasons.

The country I would choose has not appeared in the thread:
Greece

I am influenced by the variety, quality, freshness and healthful character of the available raw ingredients.
I am influenced by a memorable cuisine.
I am influenced by a culture that has touched me deeply.

1 Like

I love Italian food but on the other hand I also like Chine’s food.

I had at least one Octopus meal every day while in Portugal, because I love octopus and I don’t get enough of it here, but I think it would get tiresome. I think I would choose California. Flannery beef, nice seafood from the nearby ocean, excellent produce, really good garlic, and if I want something spicy I can travel south to get some good Mexican food. There’s also this really could restaurant with a great Tequila collection in San Diego.

O! California isn’t a country! That is the point. I can go to New Orleans for fresh shrimp, New York for the world’s greatest bagels, Bar Harbor for lobster fresh off the boat, Wisconsin and Vermont for cheese, Kansas City or Texas or the Florida Panhandle for barbecue, Salt Lake City for fake coffee, Philadelphia for cheese steak, Iowa for fresh corn, the lower east side of Manhattan for pastrami, and on and on.

1 Like

I really appreciate the double meaning of this one.

Italy, hands down.