Once more under the flor in Argentina

I doubt this wine gets exported but posting a note to give everyone a taste of some of the better and more unique things going on in Argentina. Soltito Va is the personal project from Leandro Velazquez, the head wine maker for Bodegas Salentein which is a huge, industrial scale winery. Sometimes wine makers at large, mainstream operations like Salentein are able to do a small side project on their own to display their individual stamp. Solito Va makes several wines, mostly young and fruity things under US$20 and all are pretty small scale in their production. Only 470 bottles of this vino bajo velo de flor are made annually so it’s not easy to find. Besides the small scale production, it’s become popular with better somms. It’s definitely one of the better wines I have had in AR both in terms of complexity and the obvious talent involved in raising it with purity and elegance. Unfortunately I don’t have too much more info about it. The owner of the store where I bought it did not even know what grapes are in it. He said 100% Pedro Ximenez (There are a few dry PX made here) after he searched the web after I asked him about it but upon further searching I see that it has both PX and Semillon. It seems to have both 2019 and 2020 grapes in it and was under the flor for about two years prior to bottling. It’s a little quirky compared to the average white wine but not at all into Vin Jaune or Sherry territory so it will pretty much pair with whatever you like with dry white wine but it is distinctive enough to make it quite interesting. Cheese, maracona almonds, fish, especially with some cream sauce with something like mushrooms or tarragon would be great pairings.

I am not familiar with AR labeling laws but believe this label is not legal as there is no alcohol level listed. This would be illegal in the US and EU and I think AR is even more strict about this as the wines here are usually labeled to the exact abv such as 13.8% whereas there is some play permitted in the US and EU which is why is is common to see something rounded off like 13 or 14%.

I think I got the last bottle from my shop. I paid nearly $40 last year and I think it’s worth that. It’s now closer to $60. Not sure I love it at that price but it is good and definitely unique. Throw it in a Jura tasting as a ringer and I don’t think people would complain if it was $50. By all means, if you see this at a store or restaurant and like something a little different, go for it.

Including a few pics of Argentine eats too.

5 Likes

Your post provided me with a wonderful journey!

:clinking_glasses:

1 Like