Once & Future Wine

MMartin, yes, Ravenswood was sold. Mr. Peterson still makes the wines, or at least the fancy ones.

No kidding, total double-take. Where’s Joel, behind the hippie?

Basically they did an IPO to finance building a new, very large winery. Once the shares were public it was like putting a “For Sale” sign out because Constellation snapped them all up. It might not be how Joel planned it, but IMO he made out ok on the deal.

…and Drew forgot to mention Under the Wire…

That writing style reads a lot like MTP. Maybe he’ll come in here and deny it, but it seems to make a lot of sense as a father/son project.

With the direction Ravenswood took, it would make sense that Joel Peterson would have a non-compete clause, though.

In.

Non-compete agreements eventually end.

MTP’s interview on Grape Talk included some of the vary elements described on the site. If it is not his, it’s someone very much like him.

Given that Ravenswood is my favorite CA winery, I sure have my fingers crossed that this is a new project from JP.

Imagine the Zinfandel that T.H. White would drink in Buckinghamshire, prior to taking his favorite Goshawk out for a hunt!

Can’t wait!

For comparison sake:

5-6-2015 9-29-14 AM.jpg

The tlot phickens…

Yup.

While you always worry about the other employees, this is why I don’t lament a winemaker I love cashing in.

I need another zin blend list less than a hole in the head, but whatever this is its too cool to pass on.

Thanks for forwarding the link, Larry!

Thanks,
Ed

Non compete doesn’t exist in California.

ditto
So I signed up of course.

Is the other Seghesio brother allowed to make reds again, yet?

Or, is Adam Lee submitting to the influences of his winemaking buddies? Just spit-balling ideas here…

Just follow the trademark registration. neener Registered to Madeleine Deininger. So a Peterson project it is…

You are correct that they are void with respect to employees (can’t demand that a departing employee sign a non-compete), but a reasonable non-compete in the sale of a business is enforceable. Same with a partnership breakup.