On the cusp at SQN!

Dan -

I would agree. As i said, in earnest in ~12 years. I would say 12-15 is the top of my bellcurve consumption (or at least what i think it will be going forward based on past experience).

Hope to catch up in 2017

Jeff

Got it - though I get the sense that these wines may reach peak in 10-12yrs but should do just fine for longer than 15yrs. Granted I haven’t had the 01-03 in a while but a recent '00 In Flagrante was still superb at age 16.

Hope to see you in Vegas this summer!

Also, you are still getting a big break in pricing. For example, the cheapest you can find the most recent EBA’s, the 2012’s, are $500 on the auction market(plus buyer’s %), much higher if you buy retail(average $700+). So there’s that.

Interested to see what the letter says about large format. I’ve been offered them for 10 years or more now and got a wish list request only through the website. I assume the reason must be on the extra mag sheet in the letter.

Perhaps production was down this year? Or they made less?

6/20/08 here, although I could swear it was earlier… No soup yet.

Just wondering if this is really the case now.

I think if you skip an offering altogether you will be removed but if you buy the reds but pass on the whites in a given offering, I don’t think that would be the case.

In response to a few questions I asked SQN re allocations etc.:

Dear Pete,
You may order any quantity up to what you are offered. Should you want a larger allocation there is an option when placing your order to wish for additional wines. We do take order history into account when determining allocations. If you ever need to pass on an offering just send us a quick email to let us know.

Thank You,

Amber Ingalsbe
Sine Qua Non

12/2007 here. Plan for this time next year. New adds seem to always be with the EBA offer.

This for most buyers I believe is irrelevant. Virtually no one puts baby in a corner, and no one skips a vintage offering very often…

I’m not sure that many of the buyers care about points. Some…sure, but even those aren’t likely to skip a vintage based on a score. Because there’s always another “perfect” vintage around the corner.

I have never seen the scores for any of the wines for the last bunch of vintages. With SQN they are always big, rich, pure and structured. Early on when I got the RP publication I checked and yeh the vintages with high scores were fun to get but honestly IMO the basic profile is the same year after year.

^^^^
This.

Based on this thread, I sadly have another 4 or 5 years to wait. :frowning:

And, I bet the number of people adding themselves to the waiting list has increased over time, so I might have to wait even longer than that. sigh

From the SQN promo letter received today:

“It is generally not my style, but I feel compelled to use numbers here to remind you the forerunners to these treats received 97, 100 and 100 points respectively. And I believe the 2013’s(as in the case of the reds) are superior to the 2012’s.”

2015 White blend:
42% Chardonnary
40% Roussanne
7% Viognier
7% Petite Manseng
4% Marsanne

2013 Grenache:
79% Grenache
18% Syrah
3% Petite Sirah

2013 Syrah:
89% Syrah
6% Petite Sirah
3% Grenache
2% Viognier

Interesting only 6% new oak for the Grenache, but 83% new oak for the Syrah.

I haven’t received letter yet here in Chicago - always a fun read - so thanks for posting the details. This difference with respect to the oak treatment is interesting. Though I don’t recall the details from prior releases, it seems like a much bigger difference than previously and much lower than previously for the grenache. Hmm, I wonder what Manfred saw in 2013 fruit that led to the difference in oak treatment between the varietals.

Hi, Dan :slight_smile:

You’re correct (as best I can tell) that it is the biggest difference in oak treatment between the Grenache and Syrah in a given vintage. Interestingly, the 2014 Shakti Grenache was also treated to 6% new wood while the corresponding Syrah, the Piranha Waterdance, was 54% new wood.

Just curious is anyone knows a website/link that has the copy on the SQN letters. I looked on Ken Vastola’s Fine Wine Geek site but I don’t believe they are there. I have the SQN book but those only go up to when they actually released the book.

Maybe this is a slow (moderate) shift in style? I wonder how folks would respond if the SQN wines suddenly shifted to the mid-14%'s?