Old School Napa Valley Tasting Suggestions

I’d go to Spotteswood which is very old school sit down. Mondavi Reserve room is an easy one and nice to visit such an iconic place. Throw a private Montelena tasting in for another old school experience. For a great sit down experience I’d reach out to Will Segui to taste his wines. Got to taste some of the Rivers Marie wines also and just a great pleasant experience. Not old school but it will likely end up being your favorite

In addition to those mentioned, Mayacamas

Shafer is not in any way old school by the definition in your OP. The setting is beautiful, the wines are excellent, and the tasting is very nice, though a bit “corporate.”

If you’re looking for Old World styled wines, I’d recommend Ridge Monte Bello and Montelena. But Ridge isn’t in Napa.

I enjoyed visiting Mayacamas several years ago but did not recommend it because I don’t know if things have changed since it has been sold. When was the last time you were there and has the experience changed since the ownership change?

The main Ridge winery is obviously south of SF, but if the OP wants to go to Ridge the Lytton Springs winery is only 1/2 hour or so away from St. Helena in Sonoma County. There are some really old Zin, Petite Sirah, etc., vines there that are neat to look at and the wines one can taste are the same or similar to what one can taste at Monte Bello mountain. Worth a side trip IMHO.

You obviously have a lot of definitive opinions about what Napa Cabs you like and do not like. Pick your favorite wineries and try to get in there. The best winey visits in my experience have been at the wineries whose wines I like best. Nothing like seeing how and where your favorite wines get made.

Fair point Howard, I have not been there since the ownership change.

Forman used to make classically styled wines, but diverged–massively–from that path a decade or more ago. They make modern massively oaked 15% abv cabs now and ride a long reputation of restraint that is, in my opinion, quite misplaced.

Corison, however, fits the bill for a very classically styled Napa cab. A strong recommend. They also often have many great library offerings. I like to grab a bottle of something relatively mature after the tasting, then hit up D&D for some snacks and make one lazy evening of a patio, a bottle, and some great charcuterie.

I must admit that I don’t really care for Corison Cabs. It clearly is a classically styled Napa Cab in a style that appeals to me. But, there is some flavor in the wine that somehow I find offputting - whether in younger wines or older wines. Very personal to me and I am not surprised others like the wine.

I think some of her wines have an olive tapenade note that injects a savory element some find a bit off putting, especially when leaning into a Napa cab.

Frogs Leap for classic style Napa Wines. Their 2016 Estate Cab is a good example, beautiful balanced flavors at 13.8% ABV. Huge bonus is the wines are sensibly priced.

Tom

I have nothing against the Montelena wines, they’re still great, but our visit to the tasting room was not pleasant. “Will you be joining the wine club?”, “How many futures would you like?”, “Have you heard of the judgement of Paris?” - extremely sales-y, not at all designed to give us a sense of the wines. I think I even asked for another small repour of something, and there was a “um, are yuo going to join the wine club” - yes by all means I will be buying several hundred dollars of your wine for a half tablespoon pour of the Zin. There’s a charge to taste, so I had no compunctions about leaving without buying anything.

Yes that’s the standard walk in at Montelena. Need to do private

I enjoyed our visit to Quixote and their entertainingly Dali-esque winery, but if you don’t like petite syrah it might not be for you

I’ll second that; Winfred and I loved our (semi)private visit there - we shared a table with two other couples and had plenty of time to taste through their lineup. It is a little bit spendy if you buy older bottles from their library though

I’ve always thought Merrill’s cabs were restrained. And a tasting at EMH is a unique experience. So you might get in touch with her.

I have never done the standard walk in at Montelena. Would rather do a nicer tasting there. Guess you get what you pay for.

Definitely agree with Seavey and Corison. Would probably add Cain to that list as well.

Same thoughts here. A private tasting after a picnic on the lake with a nice bottle makes for a very relaxing and enjoyable afternoon.

Viader (awesome views too)
Corison

I do know what I like and maybe I should have mentioned that I have family in Napa and we visit about once a month, so I’m quite familiar with the region… However, I haven’t really bought much of Napa wines and although we have done a lot of tastings, they were mostly at places where I get free access through memberships (Joseph Phelps, Larkmead, Clos du Val, Pine Ridge, Domaine Carneros). Most of them make quite good wine, but not exactly the style I was looking for. The little wine I do buy for myself is more along the lines of Dunn, Togni, and Forman, as mentioned. Just wanted to see what else people are recommending that’s similar.
Another thing that kept me from reaching out to schedule visits is that all three of them make 2 wines that I’m aware of. Not a huge problem, but our time is limited to a single day, so trying to get the most out of it. I’ll take your advice, though, and reach out to Stony Hill and Montelena :slight_smile:

Thanks, Yao! We’ll make sure to ask for a semi-private tasting then!