Old Napa Cabs

Tonight I opened a 1974 Charles Krug Winery (Peter Mondavi Family) Cabernet Sauvignon Vintage Selection. I was absolutely floored by how different this is to modern-day Napa cabs across the board (even the ones that have low oak and are supposedly “traditional”). 12% ABV? Translucent? I never would have guessed Napa Cab if I tasted it blind. It still had plenty of gas left in the tank (except the cork, it was fully saturated). Is there anything out there these days that even comes close to this style?

4 Likes

For Napa I think there was a discussion on this recently, but a couple of consensus producers are Togni and Dunn. Not sure that either of those would be considered translucent, though maybe after 50 years…

2 Likes

Corison? She picks pretty early … which you’d need to do in 2020’s if you wanna get anywhere near 12% ABV. I think her wines usually come in the 13s?

3 Likes

We had a bottle of Ashes & Diamonds earlier this year, the 2015 Vineyard 1 Cab, and that was 12.6%. I think the source is BG3 - it was very light and aromatic. Quite good, but I’ve never had anything as old as you’re describing so can’t say it’s similar.

I had an 1984 Dunn a few months back, it was awesome. One of the better wines I’ve had.

7 Likes

Matthiasson?

5 Likes

Agree. Enfield’s Hennessy Cab & Waterhorse Ridge Fort Ross Cab are made in a similarly lean style.

4 Likes

Frogs Leap
Long Meadow Rach- doesn’t get much discussion here. Try the Rutherford Estate Cab. Their estate Merlot is very good as well.
Calluna in Sonoma

6 Likes

Smith-Madrone.

Stony Hill under Mike Chelini (just a few years of CS). Not sure how it is now.

4 Likes

Beta

2 Likes

Curly Saint James.

2 Likes

Enfield’s cabs often lean more towards balance and elegance rather than power. They are built for aging not immediate consumption. The ABV range from 12’s to mid 13’s. The Hennessy Ridge is from Napa. The Waterhorse Ridge is cooler climate, from Sonoma. Another bonus is how they’re quite fairly priced for the quality.

3 Likes

Nearly 50 years of age certainly doesn’t hurt. Nothing, not even the Matthiasson, Corison or the Enfield (all of which I heartily endorse) will give an experience like that for at least 25-30 years. Time is a critical ingredient.

5 Likes

Beta

4 Likes

We enjoyed this last night, 12.8%.

9 Likes

I bet that was incredible! Any quick notes (sorry for the slight thread drift!)?

3 Likes

Still big and powerful, while the dark fruit is still present, it’s defintiely moved into the tertiary flavors- leather, tobac, and forrest floor. There were some spice notes too and some dried flowers that bring me back to aged BDX. The nose was fantastic, exactly what one might think of aged Napa cab leaning toward old world. I have about 1/3 of the bottle left, ready to go this evening. Note, we had a 86’ BV GLT the night prior and the Forman was by far the better wine, much more personality.

2 Likes

13%

3 Likes

So awesome - Sounds like a helluva night! Thank you!

Thanks for all the recommendations. Looks like I have some homework to do!