Old Latour - New cork

Hello to the board.
I’m Soren from Denmark. 50y. (1965).
I collect, and drink, mainly french wines that needs some aging. ( It started getting serious mid 90’s.)
-And has been a keen reader of relevant posts on “the other board” for years (never signed up there).
Last couple of years, I’ve been reading WB, and now I finally signed up.

And, Thank You, Don Cornwell et al, for creating a “TV-Killing” thread of nail-biting entertainment, regarding the monster thread concerning wine-frauds. (-I have read all of it…wow).
As being from Denmark (some fraud here ?), and into older wines, I thought I’d better check My rare stuff, bought from auctions and so.

I will start by asking, if the experts on the board knows this type of reconditioned bottle/label.
Latour1937 Rebouche 1990 no.66

Hope this post is showing the photos, as I have just fixed the Photobucket regist today.
Ps. More bottles in question, will post later.

Soren R Nielsen.

the pictures that you show have the form and the writing of reconditoned bottles in Latour.
This one has a new cork and a new label.

Except if these labels have been put on a fake bottle, what I see is fully normal.

Welcome Soren,

First post and you hit the Audouze jackpot!

Thank You M. Audouze. for answering. It makes Me feel much better, that the labels actually looks like this.
I have tried twice, to contact Chateau Latour via their home page, about these reconditioned bottles, but they never answered.

I also have a 1934 Latour. Bought from The Swedish SystemBolaget (the goverment monopole retailer) as an old store was closed. They had a small stash of old stuff in super low quantities (six bottles of this 1934). I managed to get one.

It has a stamp of date, and I wondered if this could be a late release from chateau, or just some stock note from the Sweden shop ?

Regards, Soren

the capsule is what a capsule of Latour 1934 should be, even if I find it a little too flashing red;
Look at a capsule of Latour 1920 :

the label is rather new, and the bottle has certainly been recoated.
The date of 1962 is certainly the mark of a merchant and not the mark of the Chateau.

I must change my message as I found capsules of Latour 1934

so I have had the same flashy red as yours.

This photo should be of interest for you

The label shows “bouteille rhabillée” which means relabelled or recoated.
Your 1937 shows “bouteille rebouchée et réhabillée” which means that the cork has been changed which is not the case for the wine on this picture.

Thank You again for the fine informations, and pictures.
As a side story, I collect 1934 and 1937 (also declared port vintage years) because it is My Mother(1937), and fathers(1934) birth-years. They are still alive and standing up. It’s fun to drink these wines with them on their birthdays.
I’m from 1965… I have an Yquem, the only bottle from 1965 in my collection. No red french wine for Me there.

Kind regards, Soren.

Try Latour 1965 and Vega Sicilia Unico 1965 and you will be happy !

Your parents are from two great years. Very different but great.

I have drunk 125 wines of 1934, 91 of 1937 and only 27 of 1965 which indicates their relative greatness !

Yes, I need the 1965 Latour…I will start the hunt ! The Vega S U is also on the list now, for drinking before it’s to late.

Oh I forgot to tell, that a sister bottle of My 1934 Latour was consumed (without Me) some days after the sale, and they reported it was a good glass of mature wine. All was drunk.

Kind regards, Soren.

I am a '65 baby. Not a lot of choices from that year, but will look into the Unico. I popped the '65 Mouton last month, a belated 50th birthday wine, and it was lovely. Not worth the current pricing, but lovely nonetheless.

'65 baby as well here. The '65 Charles Krug Napa Cab is still very much alive and kicking (which, incidentally was not a surprise to me as I adore old Cali Cabs and find them quite ageworthy). I still have a '65 Beychevelle in the cellar that I’m less confident about…

I’m afraid to even consider what a '65 Unico might cost. [shock.gif]

If History lessons/classes during high school and college were taught by Mr (Professor to me) Audouze I certainly would have pursued a PhD in wine history. Wow so educational. Thank you for the post to all. Amazing.

+1. Love the passion here.